Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is ICAO German Proficiency mandatory if you have a BZF?

One reason why foreign pilots visiting Germany tend to go to the officially English speaking places only.

I am more concerned about “local German pilots” flying with PPL not issued by LBA (or aircraft not D-reg), even with BZF they can’t fly to German only airfields as BZF radio privilege is not attached to radio licence in their aircraft or flying licence…ICAO privilege work on the whole combination REG+PPL+RT+LP

Maybe worth checking with FAA if they recognise BZF and if one can operate N-reg on FAA PPL+BZF when they are not holding FCC operator certificate? I really doubt it, the same thing with DGAC PPL, I doubt DGAC recognise BZF radio operator privileges in F-reg or DGAC PPL?

I more inclined to think LBA would recognise FAA PPL+FCC in N-reg (it’s ICAO)
I doubt FAA recognising FAA PPL+BZF in N-reg? worth checking who knows?
They only recognise LBA PPL+BZF (it’s FAR)

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Oct 14:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is case A.6 in the mentioned document.

And as the reply it says

Für Lizenzinhaber, die ihre Lizenzen im Ausland erworben haben, wurden entsprechende Regelungen noch nicht abschließend festgelegt.

(=the rules for this have not yet been determined).

And then goes on to reiterate that in any case, having a radio certificate for German is required if German is used on the radio (as a requirement, but not necessarily being sufficient).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Oct 14:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So LBA PPL in D-reg = 100% clear, anything else is grey but having BZF German does not hurt
Plus nothing gets enforced

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Oct 14:37

boscomantico wrote:

(=the rules for this have not yet been determined).

And then goes on to reiterate that in any case, having a radio certificate for German is required if German is used on the radio (as a requirement, but not necessarily being sufficient).

What additional rules could the LBA possibly apply given that EU regulations have precedence over national law?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Quite. It is actually clear and does not require clarification from the German authority. A non-German license holder, even if he holds a radio certificate for German, and even if German is his mother-tongue, will still require LP either in English or German, if he wants to fly and talk German on the radio (for example where the airfield used constrains him to). I don‘t see how Germany could exempt any pilot from this.

The OP, who does have English LP, is fine according to European legislation. The only problem is that Germany is trying to reinterpret FCL.055(a), saying that if German is used on the radio, then German ELP must be held. Something which, EASA has already stated, is a misinterpretation of FCL.055(a).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Oct 15:32

LBA can declare airfields where German is the only spoken language other than that they have to accept ICAO PPL+RT+ELP papers to speak German in ICAO aircraft (otherwise the sky falls apart)

It’s even more clearer with EASA papers on EASA aircraft where FCL.055 is binding EU law, my understanding that overrides German laws (ICAO privileges are only “accepted standards")

We can however debate BZF or GLP for D-reg Annex1/2 aircraft flown on DGAC PPL? or LBA PPL on D-reg with or without ELP…on that I can see some logic

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Oct 16:50

Sorry if being too late to the party. About German LP and holding a BZF2 to „officially“ conduct German radio communication i have the following answer from LBA. Although dated January 2018, I doubt they have updated their view:

„Sehr geehrter Herr XXX,

schon mit einem gültigen Sprachvermerk Englisch sind die Forderungen nach § 125 Absatz 1 LuftPersV in Verbindung mit Teil FCL.055 (a) in vollem Umfang erfüllt.

Ein weiterer Sprachvermerk Deutsch ist nicht erforderlich, selbst dann nicht, wenn der Sprechfunkverkehr in der deutschen Sprache geführt wird. Ein Flugfunkzeugnis, das zur Ausübung des Sprechfunkverkehrs in der deutschen Sprache berechtigt, ist jedoch Voraussetzung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
im Auftrag

= You don’t need German LP if having English LP, but you need the German radio license. How you would get it without speaking German is a mystery however.

Hope that helps. Else pardon for posting stuff probably already discussed before.

(EDIT: Trying to get the formatting right….)

Last Edited by Marcel at 29 Oct 17:40
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Marcel wrote:

You don’t need German LP if having English LP, but you need the German radio license. How you would get it without speaking German is a mystery however.

It was implied in the question put by @etn that he flew D-reg aircraft.

Do you need a German radio license if you don’t fly D-reg? I can’t see how the LBA could enforce that as the radio in a non-D-reg aircraft is not a German radio station.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I can’t see how the LBA could enforce that as the radio in a non-D-reg aircraft is not a German radio station.

There is the other way around, I can’t how see why BZF has any use in non D-reg aircraft radio?

Can one fly G-reg in Germany today using LBA PPL with BZF? my understanding the answer is NO, they need to fly it using CAA PPL and talk using FRTOL from Ofcom…

I doubt it’s legal to use N-reg aircraft radio station with BZF (unless you have LBA PPL and BZF while operating inside Germany), I think one should check with FCC and CAA before talking on such radio stations

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Oct 19:23

Do you need a German radio license if you don’t fly D-reg? I can’t see how the LBA could enforce that as the radio in a non-D-reg aircraft is not a German radio station.

Well, you need an equivalent radio license. And yes it is a territorial thing. (Radio station licenses are a different story, of course),

Here is the relevant regulation:

Verordnung über Flugfunkzeugnisse (FlugfunkV)
§ 1 Allgemeines

(1) Zur Ausübung des Flugfunk- und Flugnavigationsfunkdienstes (Flugfunkdienst) bei Boden- und Luftfunkstellen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland bedarf es eines gültigen Flugfunkzeugnisses oder einer gleichwertigen Bescheinigung

Sign in to add your message