Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it worth getting an EASA license?

According to the CAA FAQ on the new EASA licensing regulations ( - see part 26)

"Currently the UK Air Navigation Order gives a permanent validation of non-UK ICAO licences that allows the holders of those licences to fly UK-registered aircraft for private purposes only. With the implementation of European regulations, including the use of the derogations by the UK, this UK validation will remain for private flights until 8th April 2014. From that date forward the UK validation will be valid only for non- EASA aircraft registered in the UK."

Background: I moved to where I am now from Texas, where I had learned to fly (and have a bit over 1,000 hours, mostly single engine, with a big chunk flying old taildraggers). I'm now flying an old Auster Autocrat, which is a non-EASA type so I can just keep going with my FAA license according to the CAA.

I'd like to be able to fly EASA types from time to time, so I've been thinking about getting an EASA license but I've heard that it's not possible to keep it current if you're flying a non-EASA type like the Auster - which seems insane to me given the Auster flies just like any EASA CofA aircraft (and takes considerably more skill to take of and land than, say, a C172). I've not found this in writing yet -- perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. So is it worth the effort, or would I be better off just sticking to antiques and homebuilts? (I have no problem with this, I love the Auster and similar types - it'd just be nice to occasionally have the ability to rent a 4 seater).

Andreas IOM

To keep your EASA PPL current all you need is to fly with a FE every two years. Kind of a BFR. So why not get one if you want to? If you use it it is even simpler : 12 hours of flight time in the 12 monthes before your license ends, and among them at least 6 hours solo and 1 hour with an FI. (And 6 landings and take off if I'm not mistaken.)

SE France

But will flight time count towards that if it's in a non-EASA aircraft? Last thing I read is that these hours just don't count (which seems bizarre) but I've not been able to find that wording since.

Andreas IOM

I'm not sure but I'd say probably not. To renew your SEP license your MEP time does not count so.... What I meant is that all it takes is one flight every 2 years at a minimum. It's up to you to decide whether you want the trouble or not. If you really never use it, why bother? If you think you might need it sometimes in the future, then, it's doable with a kind of a BFR.

SE France

To keep your EASA PPL current all you need is to fly with a FE every two years.

That may be in France but here in the UK you need to fly with any FI (instructor).

You need an Examiner to sign the logbook, however.

The only time you need to fly with an Examiner is if you did not do the 12 hours in the preceeding 2 years. (Actually the 12 hours needs to be done during the second of those 2 years... bizzare!).

Is EASA changing that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, EASA is not changing that, except for a small change regarding LAPL pilots that seem to remove the bit you call bizarre. LAPL holders need to have flown at least 12 hours as PIC plus 1 hours with an instructor, in the last 24 months (i.e. at least 13 hrs during the last 24 hrs.)

huv
EKRK, Denmark

but I've heard that it's not possible to keep it current if you're flying a non-EASA type like the Auster

Not True; you will be able to fly an Auster or any other Annex II aeroplane on your EASA licence and the hours will count towards the revalidation of your EASA SEP Class rating. This has been confirmed by the UK CAA.

Peter, That's what I meant. If alioth never uses his EASA PPL license, all he will have to do to keep it current is fly once every 2 years with a FE. If he can log time, then it's the usual stuff as you said : 12 hours, at least 6 solo, and among them at least one one hour flight with a FI. 2 years ago I had to do the "FE flight" because I had been injured and unable to log the 12 compulsory hours in the last year within my license term.

SE France

Not True; you will be able to fly an Auster or any other Annex II aeroplane on your EASA licence and the hours will count towards the revalidation of your EASA SEP Class rating. This has been confirmed by the UK CAA.

My Google-Fu must be lacking at the moment - do you have a link to a CAA document where this is shown? (Googling for this has just resulted in even more confusion, for example this discussion on the LAA forum: )

One of the reasons I'd like to add on an EASA license is that with the recent agreement between France and Britain over Permit-to-Fly aircraft it'll mean no-fuss trips to France if it ever takes my fancy (and perhaps other EU countries will be added to this).

Andreas IOM
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message