Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the FAA 91.411 and 91.413 altimeter check required outside the USA, and mandatory stickers?

The stickers are required, I am told, to be applied to the body of the instrument, behind the panel.

I’ve been N-reg since 2005 and have not seen this before either.

Looking at my past records, if the 145 company holds the serials on file then this format (for a logbook insert) has always been sufficient:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only regulation that requires something be recorded on the altimeter is found in part 43 Appendix E which states:

(d) Records: Comply with the provisions of Sec. 43.9 of this chapter as to content, form, and disposition of the records. The person performing the altimeter tests shall record on the altimeter the date and maximum altitude to which the altimeter has been tested and the persons approving the airplane for return to service shall enter that data in the airplane log or other permanent record.

KUZA, United States

Typically, the information noted on those stickers are put into the logbook for ease. Our shop just creates a logbook entry when performing the inspection with all that information in the entry itself.

If that shop says the FAA needs it there, I would like to see that FAR.

FAR 43 appendix E seems specific in the “sticker” requirement, but when is that section applicable?

The reg which NC Yankee found is here.

Administrator

Well I just found it.

Appendix E_to_part_43-
(d) Records: Comply with the provisions of ยง 43.9 of this chapter as to content, form, and disposition of the records. The person performing the altimeter tests shall record on the altimeter the date and maximum altitude to which the altimeter has been tested and the persons approving the airplane for return to service shall enter that data in the airplane log or other permanent record.

So the altimeter should have the date and max altitude in which it was tested.

Every time someone complies with FAR 91.411, they must also comply with Appendix E to FAR part 43. So essentially, if a tech is performing your altimeter check, they must label your altimeter every time with the required information.

Interesting that the regulation requires a “label” on the altimeter but not on anything else. Slide-out instruments (e.g. transponders) would eventually get too thick to slide out, so the labels would need to be high quality removable ones.

It’s pretty clear that almost nobody does these stickers… it could take a lot of time to access the backs of instruments. The guy who did mine yesterday said it can take as long as the rest of the test.

Administrator

When I had a N reg plane in the USA, we never stuck stickers onto anything for the xpdr/altimeter check. It just went in the logbook.

Andreas IOM

The European based FAA Avionics Repair Stations that I work with frequently, bot put stickers on the altimeters & ASIs, as well as provide a detailed report and logbook stickers.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

ttp://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/fars-91411-and-91413.html

Note: FAR Part 91.411 and 413 are operational rules and only apply to aircraft operated within controlled U.S. airspace under instrument flight rules. So if the A320 is operated outside the U.S., the applicable national authority rules would apply.
Bombshell / dynamite, if accurate.

This website is full of inaccuracies and mistakes.

The above is just one example.

As usual, you can’t trust EVERYTHING that’s poste on the web …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message