Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there any realistic autopilot alternative to Garmin? For bog standard planes...

Title says it all.

Concerning upgrading to a digital att based autopilot in planes “for the rest of us”, is there any alternative to Garmin (GFC500)?

If going for the GFC500, “easiest” and best working combos seem to also go with Garmin for avionics as well (G5, GI275, GTN/GNC navigators)?

What’s your opinion? Am I missing something (Avidyne has good navs with the IFD series, Aspen has a PFD, but do these work well with the GFC500)?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Genesys 3100 (previously STEC).

EBST, Belgium

Trutrak and Dynon are certified now, right?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 26 Mar 19:46

AdamFrisch wrote:

Trutrak

Not below 700ft AGL iirc

always learning
LO__, Austria

No ILS, no LOC/GS, no HDG mode, and no pitch trim.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No ILS, no LOC/GS, no HDG mode, and no pitch trim.

Trutrak or STEC?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Trutrak or STEC?

Trutrak

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think @ivark is the guy whose opinion is needed.

LFOU, France

Well, what can I say. For my usage its perfect. I fly VFR and NVFR ,and I primarily wanted autopilot to reduce my workload for situations when flying with no visible horizon- really dark night, overwater haze etc. It does very good job of maintaining the altitude and course and follows GPSS.
Limitations:

• Not legal under 700ft AGL – true. I actually fly a lot at this altitude, especially during winter time- its not a place to sit back and enjoy a good book anyway.
  • No ILS – true. Neither does my plane. Not really a problem ..
  • no HDG mode- not true,at least when used together with G5. Its how I actually use it most time, set HDG and altitude bugs on G5..
  • no coupled approaches allowed- true. It actually flies pretty nice approaches ,but yes,its not legal. A big note of caution- not an autopilot problem, but (probably Jepp database or old 300XL GPS issue- don’t ever use it on small airstrip blind without test flying first. On my home airport the approach ends at dead centre of the runway. On my club airfield, it puts me on downwind..
  • manual trim – indeed, but not really problem in real life. The annunciator is not too sensitive, so for cruise flight you usually don’t need to touch the trim. You do need to trim the plane for decent and climb, but with the speed 140 is flying its not really an issue.
  • it does not have EASA STC, you have to apply for the individual FAA STC validation ( ca 200 EUR and 2-3weeks).
EETU, Estonia

I am hoping in due course to be operating a functioning Brittain B-4 with only HDG and TRK mode. They have a marmite reputation (I don’t have the skill to create the link on ‘marmite’ for those unfamiliar with this British culinary delicacy, not to be confused with the Aussie Vegemite). Versions were standard equipment on Mooneys of the 1960’s. In theory they can be upgraded in a modular fashion to include GNSS roll steering and ALT hold, however the pitch mode requires a fair amount of unique contraptions in the tail section, including something called a ‘Christmas tree’.

Fortunately this example is of the simple variety and only adds around 7 lbs to the empty weight. The Brittain system with all its add ons probably weighs in at around 30 lbs including hoses and wiring. 60 lbs if you have a standby vacuum/pressure pump.

You can get them for $1k or thereabouts and spare parts are cheap, mainly replacing hoses which are of the surgical variety.

The pre take off check in HDG mode is done while taxiing. They run off the vacuum system so non electric, and the T/C is both electric and vacuum driven.

Some say they ride through heavy turbulence better than modern digital APs and are very reliable (had them in the panel for fifty years!), others say they are not worth a damn except as a paper weight.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/brittain-autopilot-how-does-it-work.130832/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message