Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there something seriously wrong with UK PPL training?

The key to an easy life going to these events is to get there very early in the day, and on a weekday.

The traffic is maybe 1/10 of what it would be otherwise.

When I went there in 2012, I arrived about 9am and there was just one other plane "around" at the same time so the holding pattern wasn't being used as such.

It also leads to much easier parking, albeit it is only grass.

Not long afterwards somebody broke off their nosewheel and blocked the runway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A quick count suggests about 200 slotted in for flying times before 12:00. Not only will the hold be (mega) busy, but many people (or anyone perhaps) cant really expect to hit whatever the reporting point is at e.g. 10:03, so maybe there will be small collections of people creating their own little impromtu holds scattered around within the extended vicinity of Sywell.

I'd quite like to go, but it seems to me safer to go by road. Anyhow, theres always the incredibly tempting desire to buy things I dont really need, but just want :-), and then the dissapointment you get when you see lots of shiny impeccable new aircraft with loads of gadgets and toys one also cant afford. I might go where everyone else isnt, and head south west that day in my good old PA28.

Will be great if there is a 2000ft cloudbase....

EGTK Oxford

When you've done it, you can, at your leisure, read all the names and reg numbers of all the previous slot bookers, followed by a link on how seriously Sywell takes the data protection act

You dont even need to complete the registration form to see the list. Really, more time should have been spent on protecting the aircraft reg and names of the pilots flying in, than writing the 22 page joining instructions.

I am just glad the hold isn't over my house.

EGTK Oxford

A quick count suggests about 200 slotted in for flying times before 12:00

From my vague recollection, only a fraction of those are likely to actually turn up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A bit of thread drift. I did a trip to Stornoway this weekend; I hope to do a write up and post to the "trip report" forum with Peter's permission later in the week. Anyhow, the pilot that was with me: a competent pilot but did not know what to do with the mixture when I asked him if he was going to lean as we had a few longish legs. He informs me that they do not teach leaning in training. I had heard this been mentioned in the past but always thought it was said tongue in cheek but apparently not. A failing, imo, of the training establishment.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Not teaching leaning is really appalling.

EGTK Oxford

I was never taught about leaning during my PPL course. I recall asking about it once, but was told not to bother about it. Since I wasn't (directly) charged for fuel, it didn't seem so important.

Later, I've been taught not only about leaning on longer trips but also when taxyng. The aircraft owners are very keen to encourage it, and it's helped by a fuel flow meter that highlights the difference.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I wasn't 'taught' leaning but one of the few instructors I flew with over the course of my PPL leaned for me "to save the boss some fuel". It wasn't really explained, though post PPL when using my own aircraft I would always lean as I saw fit.

I wanted to a do a flight to 11,000 ft a few years back and felt I didn't have enough knowledge in leaning properly so took an instructor with me. I also posted a thread on here near the birth of this forum in order to get other opinions and to learn more.

So, yes, in my experience, not something (strangely) covered in the UK PPL training.

Sign in to add your message