Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this normal for the Cherokee??

In the good old days the UK CAA would conduct an air-test at each 3 year CofA renewal; part of the test was to check that the stall warner was within tolerance (+/- 4 knots?). If outside these parameters the stall warner could be repositioned by moving it on the slotted holes and the aircraft retested. However, if the stall warner itself was faulty, the cost of replacement would make you weep.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Does that plane have a ferry tank installed!? Either they are REALLY heavy or their engine isn't developing full power. The climb rate seems low and the takeoff run was really long.

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

Hershey bar wing also has slightly different stall characteristic, especially of you're flying out of trim. Some prefer demonstrating stalls in the old version because of that, the newer tapered version being too easy.

The lack of stall warning isn't really a problem once you know your aircraft, but most are used for training as well and the idea is that students should avoid stalls at any cost, ie, recover as soon as the stall warning goes off. I think it has some merit, but I think it is probably a lot safer to know your airplane well.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

No, my Warrior has the tapered wing also, but i have flown the straight wing too and it's really almost as well mannered as the newer version. The main difference is that the "Hershey bar wing" doesn't glide as well as the newer wing and has a higher descent rate power off (Which is actually nicer when you land ond short fields).

Nearly all my time is on PA28 (Warrior, Archer, Arrow) and never had an over enthusiastic stall warner.

Is this the Cherokee with 'slab' wing - all mine have had the 'double crank' leading edge.

Does that make the SW 'jumpy' ?

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

In my Warrior I could very well live without it. Who doesn't recognize a stall in a Warrior should not be flying. And this is almost as true for older Cherokee types with straight ("Hershey bar") wings.

I bet it's the little spring in the mechanism. Maybe it can be replaced

If it was a false stall indication, it would drive me nuts to be flying with that bleeping at me all the time.

I don't rely on a stall warner either but wouldn't want one that indicates a stall incorrectly.

EGTK Oxford

If you know your aircraft, you can do without.

Although I fully agree with the sentiment, just remember that if the POH/AFM specifies the stall warner as a required instrument, and it's U/S, you're possibly flying illegally and without valid insurance.

Who needs a stall warning anyway on his own familiar aircraft? If you know your aircraft, you can do without.

Very agree!

I am in the midst of the flight test program on a highly modified C182Q, which now has wing extensions, a STOL kit, a Continental 550, an MT reversing propeller, graoos weight increase, and is on amphibious floats. Those combine to make it a rather different plane to fly than I flew in in 2010.

I was having trouble getting the feel of landings and takeoffs, particularly takeoffs from the ground. It's a little sensitive around the pitch axis. I also found that the stall warning switch needed adjustment, as it was indicating a stall warning at too fast a speed. So the other day I pulled the stall warning CB, while doing some upper air work with trim settings at the stall.

I later went on to do some water circuits, and found the plane a delight to fly, handling was vastly improved over what I had been getting used to. Easier to get off the water, and at 5 knots slower speed, and much better at soft field takeoffs as well. What had I done to make these handling improvements? Then I remembered having pulled the stall warning CB! Without that blaring out false and distracting warnings, I was relaxed about focusing on the actual handling of the aircraft, and flying it by feel was much better! And, all of that at weights between 200 and 400 pounds heavier than the normal gross weight for a 182.

There are some planes I have flown which really do benefit from a well set up stall warning, there are others which really should have a stall warning, but do not, and then the happily large group of aircraft which fly so nicely that a stall warning system really is not needed!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

None of the aircraft I've owned have even had stall warners!

Back in Houston the flying club I was in had a Warrior for a while, and when loaded even close to gross it wasn't exactly a brilliant performer (the C172 always seemed to take off shorter and climb better when heavy than the Warrior, but there could be a number of factors other than just the type of airframe). The stall warner also IIRC was a bit over eager (but nowhere near as eager as the Grumman Tiger's).

Andreas IOM
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message