Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

Jump to the end of the video. Obviously, he’s getting lots of comments on it…
I guess he might delete it sooner or later, so watch it ASAP…

But I am confused.. for Part 91 in the US, is the vis/RVR minimum indicated on the approach plate really not a hard limit? He keeps repeating on the “look and see” thing..

Anyway, those approaches to minimums are always nice to watch. The first light becomes visible right at the ‘minimums’ call.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I downloaded it immediately, of course

I will leave it to @NCyankee for the definitive version but I think he saw what the FAA calls the “runway environment” at about 50ft Also the forward vis is somewhat short…

Fortunately for him, he hand flew (?) the ILS (well, the bit of it that matters most, which is the bit that can kill you) amazingly accurately. I don’t know anybody who can hand fly an ILS down to what is basically zero-zero, although there are many stories about it. One “colourful” FI who used to prop up the bar at Shoreham many years ago said that the French post office pilots were authorised for zero-zero ILS ops, and all hand flown.

Both ILSs at KOAK look like this:

Interesting video in other respects e.g. no way would I ever go for the remotely controlled intercom. He loses the whole GTN750 for every time he changes the radio frequency.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is always the pilot’s decision if he/she sees the runway or not, but to be honest, I find it hard to believe that he did not bust it big time…
I have a similar synthetic vision horizon on one of the airplanes that I fly and it is sometimes scary how accurate it is, you can maintain your centreline during takeoff with it. I would definitely trust it all the way down to a controlled crash if that was my last option.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 12 Dec 19:21
ESSZ, Sweden

Actually, he may have just about stayed legal(ish). He was flying to 28R (@Peter, you’ve got the wrong plate in your post), which has a DA of 207 ft (200DH) with RVR of 2400, which, if you look at the notes, can be reduced to 1800 if you are using an FD, AP or HUD. I don’t have time to watch the entire video now, so don’t know what the reported RVR was. He saw the runway environment at about 200 ft, in fact his front view camera saw it earlier. Impressive, one way or another….

Runway Environment

RWY28 or RWY30? That’s also interesting:

For ILS/LOC RWY 28R (which he was assigned):

“RWY28 RVR 1200” around 15:50.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the video, it does not appear to me that he had a half a mile of flight visibility. The MALSR has 200 foot spacing between the light segments, with 5 flashing sequencers covering 1000 feet and the cross bar lights covering the remaining 1400 feet to the threshold. I did see one of the sequence flash lights, but the first cross row was the outermost or about 1400 feet before the threshold. The video only showed two segments at time and I would estimate flight visibility to be no more than 1000 feet, maybe as little as 500 feet. At the DH of 200 feet, the threshold is still just over 3800 feet from the threshold, so at 1/2 SM visibility, one should be able to see 2600 feet forward of that point, meaning that one should be able to see the 5 sequenced flashing lights and the first two cross bars at the DH and pickup the rest of the lights to the threshold in a matter of seconds.

KUZA, United States

I agree, looks like around 1000ft. While in theory the pilot is expected to go around if flight visibility is below the approach mjnimum, in practice he is not really expected to calculate visibility from what he sees ang go around if vis is too low, but he judges if the “runway environment” is in sight, which includes the approch light system (at least down to 100 ft, below which more is required). FAR 91.175.

He was certainly pushing it here, too! No threshold at 100ft..

Biggin Hill

boscomantico wrote:

But I am confused.. for Part 91 in the US, is the vis/RVR minimum indicated on the approach plate really not a hard limit? He keeps repeating on the “look and see” thing..

It is a hard limit, but since it is flight visibility, it is based on the pilot’s view, not the RVR or ground reported visibility. In the case of certificated operations, the pilot may not commence the approach unless the reported visibility is at or above minimums, but this does not apply to part 91 operations. It can be zero-zero and under part 91, one can commence the approach, but they must have the required flight visibility at and below the DH to avoid a missed approach.

KUZA, United States

The visiblity at the DH is very subjctive,(nobody can controls you in a single pilot enviroment.) however there are gates/ points beyond you may continue or abandon the approach if the WX becomes worse then your minima. This app. was “successful” , but from the leagal aspect hmmm. In the sim for me this is a fail, and not talking about the VIS below the layer.
If you are CATI, no rwy or rwy enviroment in sight at DA/DH, you have to go around. At 207 was not, he passed 200, 1..2..3. and then had the lights.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Interesting to find out that in the US, the flight visibility is the only real limit for private ops, whereas in Europe, the RVR is the limit.
I guess that it makes sense; in Europe, regulators don’t trust people, so we use RVR measurements, which are an objective thing. If the RVR reported is below the minimum applicable for the flight in question, then one cannot legally continue, and if you do, you could get busted easily.
In this US, if only flight visibility is relevant, then it’s very hard to bust people because it is, well, only judged from inside the cockpit.
Jerry does say (in the YT comments section) that he did have half a mile of flight visibility, and of course, he would do so..).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
120 Posts
Sign in to add your message