Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jodel impounded in Plymouth

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-33988716

A decision to “impound” a vintage aircraft that made an emergency landing at a former airport in bad weather has been branded “outrageous”.
Sutton Harbour Holdings – the leaseholder of the site which closed in 2011 – claimed the pilot had committed an act of “trespass”.
It has insisted it can only be removed by road, because of safety.
But the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) said there was “no good reason” not to let it fly out.
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

In Germany the situation would be very clear due to a special law provision: the pilot performed a “precautionary landing” (as opposed to “emergency landing”) after which the landowner has the right to write down his ID but is prohibited from preventing the pilot from departing. The idea behind the law is prevent situation like this which give pilots the message “rather kill yourself than perform a perfectly safe landing on a suitable surface”.

Last Edited by achimha at 20 Aug 13:27

My reading is that the “elephant in the room” in this saga is that somebody got p1ssed off by somebody, and is making a stand to show how big and strong they are and to make a point about who is in charge. And until that is addressed, the plane won’t be flying out.

It could also be that the insurer won’t cover the departure. But until the owner speaks up, nobody will know that. Of course one could solve that sort of issue inside a day… The aircraft will prob100 need an engineer to inspect it and sign it off.

Loads of forced (or “precautionary”) landings take place each year in the UK. The plane sometimes has to be carted out even if undamaged (not enough clear land to take off) which is a few k usually. But a lot of the time it is flown out, usually (if rented) by an instructor from the school from which it was rented. This was given to me as one reason why some schools put an FI on board on every fly-out; it greatly reduces the risk of a stranded aircraft.

Technically this is tresspass and the law on that goes back to when we came out of the swamps. But I am certain the issue is elsewhere.

According to a report from one UK GA old-timer whose Mooney ended up in a few fields too many (with engine failures) you need a CPL to fly out from a “non airfield” site. That was in the NL, I believe, and I don’t recall if it was G-reg or N-reg. Probably G-reg as he was one of the oldest CAA IRs flying. I flew with him once.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have been following this saga for a good while now. The silence from the side of the pilot/operator is beginning to develop some smell. ’t Could well be we never get to hear the full story.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

From G-INFO it’s a syndicate aircraft, so multiple owners.

Administrator

On the face of it, it does seem pretty mean-spirited that the land owner won’t let them fly it out. Unless of course there is more to the story than we are aware of.

Andreas IOM

On the face of it the statement made by the land owners would suggest a reluctance to find a solution to problems which would seem surmountable.

I think somebody got p1ssed off by somebody else and is making a stand on this until somebody else eats humble pie.

This is typical behaviour of people working in Health & Safety, who are recruited from a fairly specific character profile and whose power is limited to making people feel like small children. They can’t read and write the 3.5 words required to make it as ISO9000 quality managers, and they are too old or unfit to join the Army where they could do something useful like kill people

An example of this is the extremely widely used and sarcastic UK phrase “which part of private property do you not understand?” when you have walked somewhere you should not have.

But in this case nobody who actually knows anything is talking, which leads to a lot of beer sold down the pub

Administrator

Peter – yes, unfortunately usualy the case when these things happen. Reasonableness and dialogue go the way the Jodel wants to go.

Just another Advantage of the Europa

EDLE
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message