Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Joining IFR out of Sabadell (LELL)

It’s not really airport specific. It’s rather country specific.

The majority of countries in Europe doesn’t allow India plans to or from non-IAP airports.

Not only Germany, but also Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Czech, Italy, Spain, Finland, Eire, just to name a few. Even Denmark – otherwise a very ICAO compliant country – has been doing so since about 2009 (before that, it was different).

The countries allowing this nowadays are basically UK, France, Norway and Sweden.

Also, note the “banning India flightplans” does not equal “banning IFR in Golf”. Most of the countries in above list do allow IFR in Golf (as per ICAO). It’s only the german-speaking countries which specifically ban IFR in Golf (in conflict with ICAO and SERA).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Aug 16:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@Peter: You mention often CAS. Do you mean also E in regard to clearances?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

In theory Class E is “controlled” for IFR, but I don’t know how this makes a difference in Europe. It would matter if you had an airport which is in Class E down to the surface.

The USA gets close to that, with Class E base 700-1200ft and going up to 17999ft.

The next nearest is France, with specific areas of Class E generally FL065-FL115 (Class D FL120-FL195).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The next nearest is France,

France is very very far from being similar to the US model. They have very very limited class E. Only the airways are E (up to FL115), and these are only 10 NM wide. I would say 80% of the airspace below FL115 is G, the rest is a mix of A, C, D and E.

Germany is much more similar to the US, with class E all-over, down to 2500/1700/1000 feet AGL.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Aug 16:19

LELL is located in class D airspace SFC to 3500 AMSL. (So references to how departures can work in other countries in class G is not that relevant.) Skydemon gives a safe altitude at 3400 ft at SLL. Could it be an option to try and depart on a Z flightplan with initial altitude of 3500 ft and switch to IFR at SLL?

Something like:
LELL DCT SLL IFR
and then further climb?

ESTL

What are you saying? It is illegal to be in IMC before getting an IFR clearance and before entering CAS?

In Croatia it is illegal. IFR in Golf is not allowed as well as India plans from non-AIP airports. Btw Golf is basically only 1000 ft AGL, everything else is CAS.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Indeed…

Emir wrote:

In Croatia it is illegal. IFR in Golf is not allowed as well as India plans from non-AIP airports.

They’ve learned from the Germans, apparently…

Btw Golf is basically only 1000 ft AGL, everything else is CAS.

In which case is doesn’t really matter, as you can never legally fly IFR below 1000 ft AGL anyway, except on climb-out and approaches. It would only matter for the case of departing VFR-only airports but if CAS starts at 1000 ft, then you can’t realistically pick up the clearance in the air unless you can maintain VMC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I feel that the major problem with national differences from ICAO regulations is that pilots from each state tend to believe that their national regulations apply universally!

Thus the recurring confusing discussions about IFR in class G where Germany etc. and the UK in their own ways differ substantially from the international norms.

Anyway, with SERA the situation is much better than it used to be!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Croatian AIP 1.4 is from before SERA. As SERA is a law text, it trumps national regulations, certainly AIPs.

The IFR ban in G in Germany is IMO not enforceable. The only thing we got is a statement from DFS that it is not permitted for safety reasons but as I’m allowed to do it by law (SERA) and I do not need ATC clearance for it (i.e. DFS), I am free to do it. Not a lot of airspace G in Germany though.

Sign in to add your message