Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Key and redline points

What are your key and redline points?

We all use checklists (to a greater or lesser degree) and we all know some of the points on the checklist are less important. Then there are some things not on the checklist. I am reminded of a few which through hard experience stand out for me – some life critical, some just critical to having a nice day.

Runway length and performance. Well, if you fly the same aircraft you have a pretty good sense what it can and cant do. If you dont, its unfortuntely all too easy to forget that sometimes the performance isnt quite what you had hoped (perhaps for various reasons). I try my best to have in mind an abort point every departure. I have had just two occasions dragging the thing off in ground effect, and wondering how the hell I got away with that. It is a hell of a sobering feeling, and brings home it is possibly one of the most heart wrenching experiences when you realise you are out of options. In short, every take off and abort point.

and as to the nice day ones, how often have you left the aircraft and wondered if you have left the master on, ensuring the battery will be flat when you return, the airport is remote with no chance of ground power, and you are dreading staying the night or catching the train. I have never had it happen, but had a few occasions, thinking to myself, did I leave the master on. I know, I know the checklist should cover it, but how good are we at working the final parts of the checklist when everyone wants the loo? Flying different aircraft I leave the beacon on, everything else of course powered down, before switching off the master, and make a point of glancing back at the aircraft.

What are yours?

I use “lights camera action” before entering the runway. I suppose “action” is the redline – mixtures forward, fuel pumps on.

After shut down I always end up going back inside to check master and switches of. They always are. So you’re not alone! Then after leaving the hangar I sometimes wonder if I maybe set the brakes. It will only get worse… :)

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

For me, the pre takeoff part of the checklist is the most important. On the TB20, there isn’t much else which can get you if you don’t do it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On the TB20, there isn’t much else which can get you if you don’t do it.

Well, forgetting to lower flaps and gear on landing can also ruin one’s day!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Handbrake off was not on my checklist, since we rarely use the handbrake, and trust me you can barely feel the handbrake while taxing on moist grass.

ESME, ESMS
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message