Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KSN770 - opinions?

I don't think the eye can resolve more than that, at the typical distance in this case.

Maybe. But you definitely don't need a dual chip "Graphics Core Next" or "Kepler" GPU to smoothly zoom 300k pixels. An 8008 should be almost enough, and incidentally this would be about the last CPU to match the EASA definition of non-complex COTS microprocessor...

But I definitely perfer the full HD (1920x1080) resolution of my current tablet over the 800x480 of my previous Nokia N800.

LSZK, Switzerland

Looking at the last AOPA US magazine, there is a full page ad on the KSN770 and a trade-in package.

Either they have it certified and ready to ship, or it’s a con.

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Nov 09:30
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is an interesting thread to read: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/10392-ksn-770-certified-yet/

King seem to have got TSO now (no mention of ETSO) and expect to be shipping end of Nov or beginning of Dec while honouring the trade up deal till the end of the year.

EDLN and EDKB

They need to get the AML STCs done before anybody can install this box.

Administrator

end of October they wrote me

Hi Norbert! Thank you for writing in! We are working on certification for the end of the year and deliveries will begin immediately after!
If you need any additional information please feel free to contact us! The BK Team

Last Edited by nobbi at 10 Nov 09:56
EDxx, Germany

They forgot to mention October of what year? ;) I had been in the market for years before finally putting my money down on a GTN750 and have been reading about their “end of the year” for ages :)

..but they seem to finally get ready for the market

EDLN and EDKB

Rumour in the USA is that the KSN-770 is now TSOd and you can buy it for above $11k – here

If this is real (can’t be sure) then Honeywell/King have managed to well and truly shaft over Avidyne and their IFD products.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the KSN770 and the IFD540? They seem to have similar capabilities.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Nov 10:54
Administrator

I plan on installing a virtual KSN770 and a virtual IFD540 in my vaporware airplane that runs on moonlight.

KUZA, United States

The Sarasota avionics price states “install only” which I presume means it is not for sale (from them) unless you take your plane to Florida….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

“Install Only” is standard for certified avionics.

However firms such as Sarasota will sell you a lot of stuff either discreetly or “with an Experimental harness”. This has been going on openly with the old Honeywell kit and even South East Aerospace have been openly selling gear like a brand new KX165A/8.33.

Maybe with the KSN770, Honeywell are clamping down, after all the years of not caring.

Garmin have always been hot on enforcing this, overtly at least, though they do tolerate box-only direct sales from certain of their distributors (not going to post names openly) if the disti is shifting a decent volume

The thing to appreciate about an “install only” price of say $12k is that the dealer is making about $3k on the supply of the kit, and that goes towards the installation cost. Nobody will actually pay the advertised $12k because on top of the $12k you will get an installation cost, say $4k. That install cost will be subsidised by the 3k from the equipment supply.

So if you bought the box yourself and free issued it to the installer, he will now be looking at charging you $7k for the installation.

It’s not quite as bad because for the “supply and fit” he will be offering a warranty on the box and the installation, whereas if he installs a customer-issued box, you have to handle warranty issues on the box yourself, and there will be a question mark over what warranty there is on the installation. Almost every plane is full of stuff and bodges which are not documented so the avionics installer discovers a load of crap when he gets stuck in, and somebody has to pay for this. That is where the $7k helps with…

I would bet that a lot of the KSN770 functionality, firmware v1.0, will not actually work (and same with an IFD540, etc) and the dealer is not going to be keen on helping to get it sorted if he didn’t make the margin on the equipment supply… especially if “secret” dealer codes are needed to update the firmware.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Nov 22:29
Administrator
Sign in to add your message