Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KX 170b problems

Hi,

I have been having an intermittent problem with my KX 170b. When pressing the PTT, the RX cuts out in the headphone, but there is not transmission and i don’t here any TX feedback. I have swapped everything between between the left and right seat positions, but am still get this on the odd occasion. Could anyone recommend a repair shop in the UK who would be able to have a look at this. Also out of interest, does anyone have a circuit diagram and installation manual for KX170b.

Thanks,
David

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

I have an installation manual – there are no circuit diagrams, but there are pin-out diagrams – if that’s any help to you?

EGTT, The London FIR

This equipment is very old, don’t spend to much time and money on it, especially as you in Europe, due to the 8.33 kHz mandate. You will find many people having these old equipment removed, so a tempory replacement should be available at a low price, and likely cheaper than having an intermitted problem repaired.

From January 1st 2018 8,33 kHz is mandatory in EU.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

It’s probably your PTT switch or connection which just grounds a pin in the 170 box; make sure the wire and or the sw are good.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Could anyone recommend a repair shop in the UK who would be able to have a look at this

I think the only UK shop which can “officially” repair this stuff is Navcom Avionics Ltd at Bournemouth EGHH.

There are many “shed” outfits that repair old avionics, off the books… much of UK GA runs on these, even though they only just barely function. This stuff is from 1976 or before!

They are almost impossible to repair properly, due to multiple issues, often involving corosion. The shops that fix them keep a pile of dud ones on the shelf and take parts out of them, until they get a sort-of-working result. The repair cannot be guaranteed i.e. you may get it back as “beyond repair”.

I’ve emailed you the IM.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one