Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lübeck (EDHL) to Marseille / Aix-en-Provence (LFMA) and back - Part I

Is this deliberate (anti-UK) or some job creation/protection scheme?

France is not anti-UK. It is the UK that is anti-Schengen.

If the UK joined Schengen, you would no longer have any problems.

A couple of years ago there was a long list of airports that lost their port of entry status. I guess this is a cost-cutting measure.

Currently there is also a debate in France now about all of the regional airports that the regions have to subsidise to keep afloat because they are not financially viable. Some of these airports are so close to oneanother that it does not make sense to maintain both. Examples are Dijon/Dole, Bergerac/Perigueux. Others like Reims-Vatry have 0 traffic.

The regions also subsidise the air carriers for them to serve the airport. Ryanair benefits quite a bit from such measures. I am sure that other regional airlines like Hop and SkyBe also benefit from this.

LFPT, LFPN

Coming from a non-Schengen EU-country (like the UK), the solution would be to land at any Schengen-field with immigration and customs service (PNR or not and preferably the cheapest available) and then continue to the destination airfield of your choosing within Schengen.

Last Edited by Lucky64 at 17 May 08:32

In most countries boarder control and customs control are different authorities which makes sense because the qualification required for each is a very different one. Checking a passport, a wanted list etc. is fairly easy. Knowing exactly what is permitted to import and how to treat certain goods, is much more involved.

I assume that the customs branch happens to be available during the times at this place whereas an immigration officer is not.

In Germany, you can become a border control officer (“Hilfspolizist”) by completing a quick training. You can then perform your own border controls which you have to document for the Federal Police. Customs handling must be performed by officers of the division. This is why a lot of airfields have non-Schengen but fewer and fewer non-EU.

So they have Customs PNR but no Immigration…

Is this deliberate (anti-UK) or some job creation/protection scheme?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FWIW, I don’t believe France separates customs and immigration, at any airport.

They do. Look at the current NOTAM for LFPN for example.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

FWIW, I don’t believe France separates customs and immigration, at any airport.

Only Germany and Italy do that, AFAIK. here here etc.

Administrator

The French VFR Manual agrees with Peter; no customs and immigration.

LSZK, Switzerland

This june I plan flight from Croatia Zagreb to LFMA. Does airport have customs?( airport of entry) or customs PPR?

I don’t think so. It appears to be a Schengen-only airport, so no good for Croatia, UK, etc. This is from Navbox, which is my normal way of doing a quick and dirty lookup. No “customs” mentioned

Nearby airports which show “customs”, with various qualifications e.g. 24hr PNR are LFMQ, LFTH, LFTZ and then further away LFMT & LFMD.

The French AIP is here but this has been inaccurate in the past for airports at which customs were removed in recent years (about 50 of them).

But then nobody has found a definitive document for French airports with customs, and many have looked For every list somebody finds, somebody else finds an airport on it which is definitely wrong. Many threads on it here – example

Probably the most reliable way is to ask the airport itself.

Administrator

This june I plan flight from Croatia Zagreb to LFMA. Does airport have customs?( airport of entry) or customs PPR?

LDZA, Croatia

Certainly; FL140 is the SR22’s sweet spot in terms of cruise efficiency.

But on the other side, I don’t think this pic…

would turn out nearly as nice at FL140…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message