Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing after closing time...

But once in the air for example the legal VFR weather limits are rather low and the airspace is free compared to many other countries

Not sure I agree. That may be true on paper. In practice it makes little difference. Germany treats Restricted Areas as Prohibited Areas. In France or Italy, it’s just a matter if being in radio contact, and in most cases, one will be cleared across (no matter if the area is “hot” or “cold”).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jun 19:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

National ruling has little to do with it, let alone Europe

National ruling has lots to do with it, at least in practical terms because public airports with scheduled flights have classification and security issues. From July 1 this year Avinor will open all their airports for non commercial GA traffic, MTOW < 2750 kg, outside opening hours (for some reason a LAPL or higher is needed, microlight certificate holders need a special “security” course). That is 37 airports all across Norway. The exception are the large ones that are open 24h in any case (Bergen, Trondheim, Oslo etc). All these airports have ILS, but outside opening hours only day VFR (0700 – 2300 local time) will be allowed since their classification will change from “Airport” to “landing strip” (landingsplass) No one is there to “man” the ILS/Tower or something? Everyone will need a special personal security card to get in and out. Avinor owns all the “public” airports here, airports for commercial scheduled flights. There are lots of other airports, private ones, but few of those have the standard of Avinor airports, so this is really nice. All landings outside opening hours are also free of charge. Sweden has had a similar system for ages already, finally we get it also. Parking is free for every non commercial operator that is a member of NLF, also international clubs, like AOPA apparently. MTOW < 2750 kg. Things are improving, it only takes time.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

QuoteThere are no laws in the UK about when you can land.

Some airports have planning permission rules – Aberdeen EGPD used to be one – it might still be. I remember local press reports of Council action over a late airline flight a few years ago.
When Inverness EGPE had quite restricted opening hours, we had an “out of hours indemnity” which allowed us to take-off and land when the airfield was closed. It’s possible to get this indemnity for many airports.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Everyone will need a special personal security card to get in and out.

Sounds like the ASIC in Australia. Hope the admin isn’t the same mess !

Hope the admin isn’t the same mess !

As of now, how and where to get that card is nowhere to be found, and it is only 4-5 days until July 1. Looks like it will be a real mess indeed.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The story one hears here in the UK is that when airfields operate a system where pilots landing after closing time put the money into a box, they find that the box contains far less money than it should.

Given the seemingly huge British GA preoccupation with boycotting airfields that charge more than [insert your favourite figure, but 10 quid is a good starting point] this is not surprising.

But then people can’t complain if the airfield owner pulls the concession.

My base used to have a 1hr concession, both before and after normal hours, but it was withdrawn because one based pilot used to abuse it. I don’t know what he was doing but I guess he was operating even earlier or even later than the extensions.

And since the airfield is on a “public license” they are not allowed to ban a particular pilot. Airfields that are unlicensed, or have a “private license” can do that.

And it does happen. One famous GA personality got his glideslope wired upside down by an avionics shop, he filed a report to the CAA about it (quite right too, but getting the CAA to act on stuff like that is like pulling teeth, and they would then need to shut down half the maintenance facilities in the UK) and due to some relationship between the shop and the airfield he got kicked off the airfield.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airfields over here have a simple solution to the payment issue: next to the box is a pile of envelopes, and one is supposed to put the (usually) 5 € in an envelope, writing the registration on the envelope. Comparing the box’s content with the a/d movements log does the rest. Or perhaps UK aerodromes don’t have a movements log?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I really don’t know how Shoreham used to work the system. I used it a number of times (it was extremely useful for getting away earlier in the morning) and I guess there was somebody around to note down the movement, even though the radio was quiet. There was no “honesty box” and both myself and the guy who allegedly caused problems are credit account customers anyway.

Funnily enough I recall departing from Cannes early morning and just putting a form with the aircraft details into such a box. They then sent out the bill. Such a well organised airport…

I am sure there are occassional problems getting payment. A few days ago I landed at Bergerac and everything was shut. Nobody around to take any money. I walked up into the tower (the only sign of official life) and the ATCO said they will get the address to send the bill to from google. I explained that will just get them the US trustee… Fortunately I landed there again 3 days later and made sure I paid for both landings etc. I have not yet received the bill from Dinard from 12 months ago!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

departing from Cannes early morning and just putting a form with the aircraft details into such a box. They then sent out the bill. Such a well organised airport…

That’s been the Highland Council system at Ashaig (Broadford, Isle of Skye) for years. Pity their PPR system now puts you in a queue with ALL Highland Council phone calls.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message