Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at an abandoned airfield

Is there any difference between landing at an abandoned runway (possibly with “X” at each end) and landing on any other bit of private land?

Obviously the answer will be country-dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think legally speaking the fact that the land you chose to land on what USED to be a runway is irrelevant. You need the land owner’s permission to land on any private land regardless of the surface type.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 27 Jan 22:34
Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

Is there any difference between landing at an abandoned runway (possibly with “X” at each end) and landing on any other bit of private land?

In Germany, I reckon it makes no difference legally if you do either of those – or land at a fully functional airfield a minute after it closed for the day.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

In England it’s a civil wrong (tort). Where a trespass concerns some use of the land without causing damage, any damages would be measured in relation to the value of the defendant’s use. In Scotland it’s a right, to be exercised responsibly.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It’s either an airfield (in the legal sense) or it’s not. Dutch law makes no difference in disused airfields/airports or any other slab of concrete. I once made an off airfield landing with my glider in Germany on what later turned out to be a disused Agrar-Flugplatz (airfield used for cropdusters), it being a glider it caused no problems anyway.

EHTE, Netherlands

As others have said, a non-active aerodrome is, aeronautically speaking, just another bit of real estate. In decent countries, at least. The pilot/owner/operator in this story had a hard time, though, getting the plane back to the skies. Took a couple of months ISTR.

Last Edited by at 28 Jan 11:36
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In an emergency, or if i needed to do a precautionary landing – I’d do it any time. But it’s clear that that would be an off-airport landing, in Germany.

Flyer59 wrote:

In an emergency, or if i needed to do a precautionary landing…

In Germany it is perfectly legal to perform a precautionary landing anytime and anywhere. You are allowed to take off on your own after a precautionary landing but you must supply your name, address and insurance details to the landowner first in any case. Whether you caused obvious (to you) damage or not.
Theoretically, one could also land on a disused airfield, but for that the permission of both the landowner and the local aviation authority is required. Pretty much standard for some helicopter operations.

Last Edited by what_next at 28 Jan 11:53
EDDS - Stuttgart

That’s actually what i meant.

The problem in the uk at least may not be the landing but the departing as we have seen at plymouth very recently.

However, i dont know of a reason not to land anywhere with the land owners permission, other than if it causes endangerment. Clearly the pilot must satisfy himself of the ground conditions, which may not always be easy. Without permission its trespass. If its a forced landing follow the debate on plymouth which reached various conclusions.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message