Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at Unattended Airports

Flying in the US, this seems normal, not a safety issue at all. I know Germany forbids such landings. Which European countries ALLOW landings at unattended airports. I know Hungary allows it. Where else?

Tököl LHTL

UK does

It’s the most normal of things, pretty much everywhere in the world!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you mean by unattended ‘no form of ground-air communication’, plenty of these in Spain, non state-run of course. Pilots talk to each other on a published freq.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Italy? Austria? (Considering I’m now based I Austria, I really ought to know the answer!)

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 17 Mar 17:29
Tököl LHTL

Ireland. But you know that already.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Perhaps I should ask who else forbids it.

Tököl LHTL

Not allowed in The Netherlands

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Totally allowed in Sweden and the most common practice in GA with hundreds of unattended airports. It is also allowed in Norway, Finland, Denmark and Lithuania AFAIK.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 17 Mar 18:08
ESSZ, Sweden

It is permitted in France, with some exceptions like Toulouse Francanzal. On the IFR approach side however, strainght-in approaches are not allowed and circling minima apply. Many airfields are FR-only when no ATC available.

AFAIK there is no law against such operations in Norway but it depends depends on the airport operator. Avinor does not allow it without special authorisation, and without ATC and and rescue services, only VFR operations are authorised. There are plenty airfields where it is authorised, though. I believe it is the same in Denmark and probably in Sweden as well. I have for sure landed at least at one airfield in Denmark with no ATC.

LFPT, LFPN
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message