Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LAPL syllabus books and air law questions

Hi all.
Looking for information about these books and if i should buy them. If anyone has experience with the pooleys FCL LAPL (A) Syllabus or the AFE
EASA LAPL (A) Syllabus & Course Guide
are they good information wise or are they mostly just for ticking off when you’ve completed tests and that sort of stuff. Basically are they useful.

Second currently studying the pooleys air law and metrology book. Most of it is based on uk law. Where can i find what is applicable to irish law. I have looked on the iaa aip icao differences pdf but thats just a mess and is not clear. Have also looked at John swans irish aviation law for pilots but thats from 2007 and i cant find any sellers. So if anyone knows any resources or books that would be great.

Last question was just out of interest. pooleys has a instrument syllabus book and in the title it has bir. I assume that its the basic instrument rating that is coming in 2021. But how can they sell it if the rating has not been finalised yet

Thanks

Eh
Ireland {Republic}

Either of these sets of books is suitable. There’s a lot of information to digest and both present it clearly. Make sure your have the latest edition and don’t rely on an old outdated copy.

You are studying for the EASA LAPL licence so the theory should be the same for all EASA countries and not different in Ireland.

The BIR has been passed as EU law just with a delayed start date Some of the detailed implementation is still to come but there is enough of the syllabus known to publish a theory book.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thank you DavidC for answering. This is really helpful.

Eh
Ireland {Republic}

To look at this from another angle, why do a LAPL instead of the full PPL?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On a related note, my teenage daughter decided to learn to fly a couple of years ago. She used the AFE books (because thats what the school was using), but found the PPL tutor website to be the best for reviewing the information and practice tests.

If you want to get a syllabus I would get the one that your school uses. They may even use this free one from this link

https://www.airpilots.org/aviation-matters/flight-instructors/

Last Edited by Bathman at 10 May 09:17

Dear Peter
I am perusing the lapl as it suits my needs and costs. I dont think that the ppl will provide me with any additional privileges that I need for a few years time. I dont wish to pursue commercial licensing.

Thanks hammer for the website.

Yeah I think I might ring the ground school and see what they say. I thought that it was a universal syllabus but ill check to make sure.
Thanks Bathman

Eh
Ireland {Republic}

The writtne exams for the LAPL and the PPL are exactly the same.

https://ppltutor.com/

This outfit offer a free Air Law question bank although you have to pay for the other subjects. Airquiz is another PPL question bank provider.

If the exams are the same, and the flight training is the same (if not the same I bet it will end up the same by the time you reach the skills test standard) then the only saving is the medical, which a GP can do.

But is a GP medical “safer” than an AME medical? I don’t think so, because a GP has your whole medical file, from the ingrowing toenail you had when you were 5 Whereas your AME may get a copy of your GP records initially (AIUI, post-Germanwings, they do this certainly for an initial Class 1 nowadays but not for a Class 2) but he won’t be getting it afterwards, even though you always sign a document allowing him to do so. I guess this is debatable both ways. Certainly I used to know a German pilot (Class 1, ATPL) who proudly told his AME basically nothing.

I think the LAPL, being sub-ICAO, is a potential dead end in various ways. But then I am seeing this from the point of view of somebody who has spent 20 years chasing after various pilot papers (JAA PPL, night, IMCR, FAA PPL, FAA IR, FAA CPL, LAPL, EASA IR) and often wondered who is going to screw him on what. One soon finds that covering one’s 6 o’clock is generally a good idea in aviation

Around Europe, most private pilots have decided the same and few are doing the LAPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I echo the other comments, if practical differences isn’t material, go for the full PPL. Guys here are experienced and talk with years and years of practical experience! Maybe the required hours are lower on paper för LAPL, but you seldom do just the required hours and you also learn more with more hours.

Of course, if LAPL is the only possible way, go for it! Best of luck…and report back! :-)

Last Edited by AndersB at 11 May 13:16
ESOW, Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message