Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LAPL / UK NPPL and N-reg

Is anybody aware of any reason why the EASA LAPL might not comply with FAR 61.3 ?

It's obvious from the FAA Chief Counsel rulings on 61.3 and JAR papers that the LAPL would in any case be usable only in the airspace of the country that issued it.

I managed to get a written confirmation from the FAA (see above link) that the UK IMC Rating is good for an N-reg, and the LAPL is a similar sub-ICAO piece of paper.

Unless there is something in EASA FCL limiting its use to EASA reg planes...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Basic Regulation article 7 (2): Except when under training, a person may only act as a pilot if he or she holds a licence and a medical certificate appropriate to the operation to be performed.

FCL.105 LAPL — Privileges and conditions. (a) General. The privileges of the holder of an LAPL are to act without remuneration as PIC in non-commercial operations on the appropriate aircraft category.

You could not get a "piggy back" PPL based on a LAPL, where an ICAO licence is explicitly required. The FAR's say nothing about ICAO licences being required for the purpose of flying an N-reg in the state where the licence was issued.

A LAPL is a licence, and it is issued by a state. I would love to see who is going to argue otherwise, given that this is printed on page 1 of the licence.

Biggin Hill

I think the important thing here is that ICAO licence should be recognised by ICAO member States as meeting an International Standard. Acceptance of non ICAO licences is up to the individual State to decide whether or not they accept such a licence to operate their aircraft. FAR-AIM does not prohibit the use of non ICAO licences when operating N Reg in a foreign State.

Thus, either the LAPL or NPPL are valid. I have seen it suggested that the UK could limit the NPPL to G Reg, but the UK has no jurisdiction to prohibit the holder of a licence that is valid in the UK from exercising those privileges in another State's aircraft; it us up to the State of Registration whether they accept or decline that licence for use in their aircraft.

but the UK has no jurisdiction to prohibit the holder of a licence that is valid in the UK from exercising those privileges in another State's aircraft

I thought that the State issuing a license or a rating could stick whatever limitation they like on that.

For example the ANO limits the IFR privileges of the IMCR to UK only. Page 277 of cap393.pdf states

Instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes)
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), within the United Kingdom an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) to fly as pilot in command of an aeroplane without being subject to the restrictions contained in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of the privileges of the United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes).

[my emphasis]

and what is different between limiting the IMCR to UK airspace and limiting the IMCR to a UK aircraft reg?

On a tangent, I guess a limitation to a G-reg would be illegal under EU laws and any EU reg should be OK. But Article 223 (page 167) still speaks of G-reg, even though one "formerly high profile pilot forum personality" phoned up the DfT several years ago and was told a G-reg is equivalent to EU-reg also i.e. you don't need the DfT permission for e.g. flight training in a D-reg plane. I wonder if anybody has ever tested this??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought that the State issuing a license or a rating could stick whatever limitation they like on that.

Indeed they can, but they are meaningless when those limitations fall outside their jurisdiction, i.e. they are unenforceable in law. When did the CAA ever have jurisdiction over N Reg pilot licensing?

and what is different between limiting the IMCR to UK airspace and limiting the IMCR to a UK aircraft reg?

The UK IMC is valid in UK airspace; because it does not comply with ICAO Annex 1, the UK has no remit to say it is valid in another State but they could accept its validity if they wished to! The ANO is worded so that the holder is aware the privileges of the licence, which are modified by the IMC rating, are not in accordance with ICAO Annex 1; therefore they may not be valid outside UK airspace unless subject to further permission.

The IMCR is a modification to Licence privileges and applies to the licence holder, it has nothing to do with the aircraft registration type or class.

Just to be clear- I can fly an N reg aircraft in the UK with a LAPL licence? Sorry to ask again but I've £50,000 at stake - not rich enough to have it sitting there and be unable to fly it. Thanks in advance John

I am almost sure that you need an EASA licence and not LAPL to fly N-reg in the UK ...

Instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) (1) Subject to paragraph (2), within the United Kingdom an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) to fly as pilot in command of an aeroplane without being subject to the restrictions contained in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of the privileges of the United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes).

How does this wording limit the use of the IMCR to the UK only? It is clearly valid within the UK.... It is silent on its validity elsewhere

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

....a LAPL is an EASA licence(isnt it?)

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message