Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lateral and Vertical clearances being separate

This is one of the key things for an IFR pilot to get his/her head around. If e.g. ATC clear you to descend to FL150 and clear you to fly a certain STAR, you have to fly that STAR while descending, and you level off at FL150, regardless of what levels are published on the STAR.

But I have read that this is not true for a SID i.e. you can fly a SID as published, including the level.

Is that correct?

In every case except one that I recall I got a level to climb to, issued with the departure clearance. In the one odd case ATC obviously forgot because when I asked them for the level, the figure they gave me was nothing like what was published on the SID.

The one big exception, which we did here before, is the "cleared for the XXX approach" which entitles you to descend to the approach platform immediately. You do however need to respect the MSA, for which there are various rules, and also ATC is not supposed to issue that phrase until you are within some radius if the airport or whatever (but they might, in some countries, which is why MSA matters). This one I think remains ambiguous especially if talking internationally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the US, an approach clearance does not permit descent to the MSA charted on an approach chart except in the case of an emergency. One must remain at the last assigned altitude until on a depicted route or portion of the approach.

KUZA, United States

Most German SIDs include the cleared level and they don't give you another until airborne.

EGTK Oxford

But I have read that this is not true for a SID i.e. you can fly a SID as published, including the level.

Is that correct?

Unless your initial clearance contains a specific altitude or level. For example this morning we got: "xxx351 cleared to Charleroi (where I am right now) via Vesid3B departure, flight planned route, squawk 1234". This means we climb to the final altitude (5000ft) of the SID and wait for further clearances. If the SID contains a step climb procedure (like most SIDs in the London area) you climb exactly as by the procedure.

On smaller and more remote airfields, we often get a clearance like this: "xxx421 cleared to Stuttgart via Busir1G, climb level 100' squawk 4321". The SID contains 5000ft as final level, but the FL 100 of the clearance overrides this.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yesterday in EDDB I got cleared destn flight planned route, BELID3X squawk xxxx. The SID has the climb to 5000' and the next frequency and you change from tower without being told.

EGTK Oxford

The SID has the climb to 5000' and the next frequency and you change from tower without being told.

To be 100% nitpickingly precise, EDDB plates state "Remain on tower frequency until passing 2000ft, then contact Bremen Radar" (I remember because I was there two days ago)

Others, like Frankfurt have "Contact Langen Radar when instructed by Tower". So there are exceptions from the general rule - always read the smallprint on top of the Jeppesen plate.

EDDS - Stuttgart

To be 100% nitpickingly precise

That is not more precise, just more detailed. My point was more that you have to just read the plates. Whether it is climb levels or frequency changes, the plates are clear. But each country has its own conventions. I admit to only learning the frequency one when tower said goodbye have a nice flight after clearing me for take off on my first visit there a year ago.

EGTK Oxford

That is not more precise, just more detailed...

:-) The general rule in Germany is to call departure immediately after takeoff. A lot of people who trained in Germany therefore never read the smallprint and ask stupid questions.

EDDS - Stuttgart
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message