Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leer Airport, EDWF, Germany

I stop very often at Leer Airport, Germany (EDWF).

It is in the North West of Germany, between Groningen (Holland) and Bremen.

Nice hard runway.

If you land on the westerly runway (26) if can sometimes be a bit turbulent ( due to trees I think) at the first part of the runway, so I normally aim for the intersection.

There is a simple but friendly restaurant there.

If you fill up there is no landing fee.

Avgas costs just under €2.00 at the moment.

Staff are friendly.

Regards, Iain

Leer gets my vote as well but as you say it can be turbulent on a westerly landing.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thanks for your report, Iain. It would be even better if you could drop something into the new airport database

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got my PPL at the local flying club in Leer-Papenburg EDWF. It is universally regarded as one of the best GA airports in Germany, mainly thanks to the dedicated and friendly staff (who also speak decent English and some Dutch). For German pilots, it is the gateway to the East Frisian islands and often used as a fuel stop.

As mentioned by Iain, there is no landing fee if you uplift fuel (AvGas, MoGas and Jet A1 are available). The field is very easy to find next to a TV tower just south of it (on the dead side of the circuit). 1200 m of asphalt runway in a good condition, perfectly aligned with the typical wind direction (westerly winds dominate, so runway in use is mostly 26). Runway lighting is available. The PAPI was not properly calibrated when I last flew there, not sure if that is still the case.

The approach to 26 over the lake is scenic, but as mentioned by both previous posters, can get turbulent due to trees close to the runway. If you don’t need the full 1200 m, aim for the intersection and enjoy a smoother ride, though you might then have to backtrack to the ramp.
Hard surface parking is available but often full, especially in the summer. The adjacent grass is kept well trimmed and even, though. There are several hangars, but also lots of based aircraft. Better ask in advance if hangar space is available.

There is an airfield restaurant which is often frequented even by non-pilots from the area. They serve mainly typical German food of decent quality and rather low prices.

The city of Leer survived WWII largely unscathed and has a neat little old town with a maritime feeling thanks to the harbour in the city centre. The airport is just about 10 minutes from the city centre by taxi. Ideally, bring folding bikes to explore the area, or rent bikes (not sure if possible at the field, as a – then – local I never needed such a service). East Frisia in general is a holiday region, nice for biking and there are several beaches. Pilots can do island hopping and visit the East Frisian islands, most of which have their own airfields.

I don’t know about customs and immigration for sure, but think both is available PPR. The next instrument approach is in Emden EDWE, just 10 nm North (then follow the Autobahn 31 south) or Groningen (the EEL VOR radial 075 leads to EDWF).

Last Edited by MedEwok at 23 May 16:15
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Leer is nice! I usualy refuel there too. Let me plug another video I did flying from there… Sorry.

I was there in March and a little later too in April. Sad to see D-EDWF with a collapsed gear next to the airfield.

EHTE, Netherlands

Nice video, Bobo. Good to see EDWF again, haven’t been there since I moved in 2017. What happened to D-EDWF? It was the pride of the local flying club.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

A runway excursion it seems…

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/235239

EHTE, Netherlands

I created a report for EDWF on the new airports.euroga.org database, mainly based on my above post. I couldn’t find a nice aerial photo of the field though, as I flew there as a student and never took my hands of the controls to take a photo so close to the landing…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message