Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legacy turboprop twins cheaper than singles to feed and overhaul.

Controversial? No, not if you chose an aircraft with a Garrett power plant, that is.

I’ve been window shopping around for TPE331’s recently and you pay roughly around $30/hr for a Garrett with time left on it (except the -10, as they’re more desirable). That’s cheaper than a PT-6 in any, shape or form. A friend of mine bought a set of halftime 331’s when his were hitting Hot Section time for pretty much piston engine overhaul prices – around $60K aside. $60K for another 2000hrs. That’s less than I paid for my IO-540’s when all was said and done with hoses, turbos, wastegates! Add to this the 5000hr/2500hr HSI or 5400hr TBO/1800hr HSI (depending on what engine plan you’re on) interval, 20-30% less fuel burn compared to the PT6’s and the Garrett’s are hard to beat financially.

Due to the PT6’s total dominance on the market, they can now charge what they want. Something to think about perhaps if you’re looking to step up to a TP single. Ignoring the "newer airplane " argument (which an old plane can’t compete with obviously), you could fly a TP twin for the same cost in fuel burn and overhaul as an equivalent TP single. And save a ton of money in purchase on top.

Which brings on a broader question – if there was no cost penalty for having a twin, wouldn’t you want that extra safety?

Or when was the last time you saw a charter TP twin renting for $850/hr to customer? With Garrett’s they can make that work. You’d never see a TBM or a PC-12 rented for that cost. Or a KA90. I doubt even an old Caravan would rent for that.

Air Charter Prices

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 Jun 05:47

You can’t operate Garrets sensibly in Europe — too loud.

You can’t operate Garrets sensibly in Europe — too loud.

Not entirely true. There are plenty of Garret powered twins flying around like Metroliners, Jetstreams and Do228s. It depends a lot on the propellers. Even if you have to pay a little more for landing fees due to noise (we never did when I flew the Metro) you compensate that with the lower fuel burn compared to engines like the PT6.

Last Edited by what_next at 02 Jun 10:27
EDDS - Stuttgart

Actually, Walter M601 (now GE) may be even cheaper to run. Especially M601B and M601D that are no longer supported by the manufacturer but still overhaulable elsewhere.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Walters should be even cheaper (not in fuel, but in everything else) like UN said. Probably will change now that Honeywell own them and they’re getting westernized. I do hope the Kestrel gets to market – the world needs a single engine alternative to the PT6 dominance.

The fuel burn for a TP single of similar size doesn’t follow conventional piston wisdom – there’s no penalty for having a second engine. A PC-12 burns about 66gal/hr, a Turbo Commander about 58gal/hr. Same size, same weight, same landing fees, roughly. The TC will be faster, too. But perhaps the noise fee’s would add up, I don’t know how much that adds up in Europe.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 Jun 16:43

What “cheap” options are there when one wants pressurization and speed, let’s say at least 280KTAS?

I find it very difficult to compromise with an expensive aircraft, I wouldn’t want to pay 500k€ and then get a stinking and cold cabin (Cessna P210 Silver Eagle) and the old turboprop twins usually look and feel like a 40 year old caravan brothel…

Adam, I am sure the TC is nice but it isn’t a PC12. Can it do the same missions, yes.

EGTK Oxford

What “cheap” options are there when one wants pressurization and speed, let’s say at least 280KTAS?

Single? None that I can think of. Old TP twin – quite a few. All I’m saying is that, if one can put the new plane smell feel aside (I have no argument there), it seems like there’s an irrational barrier towards twins. “It’s going to cost twice as much”, “landing fee’s will be much higher”. No, they won’t. You’ll pay exactly the same as if you’d had a TBM, maybe even less.

It’s like the Cirrus SF50 they’re developing (and I’m sure will sell thousands of). It has terrible specs. Barely does 300kts whilst burning 70gals/hr. A new Mustang twin engine jet will outrun it on less fuel, whilst carrying more. Why are people so hell bent on staying single engine, when it actually costs them more? I don’t get it.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 Jun 21:55

TBM700 will do it.

EGTK Oxford

Why are people so hell bent on staying single engine, when it actually costs them more? I don’t get it.

I could answer that from a personal perspective:

• have to re-do my EASA PPL into a ME PPL
  • EASA PPL revalidation every year
  • have to re-do my FAA PPL into a ME PPL – let’s not get too far into the issues of a DPE checkride in Europe
  • have to re-do my EASA IR into a ME IR
  • have to re-do my FAA IR into a ME IR – let’s not get too far into the issues of a DPE checkride in Europe
  • all twins are bigger than singles; I doubt I could hangar even a DA42 where I am, let alone a King Air
  • I don’t want to do another checkride for as long as I live – I am sick of tests and more tests, and that’s before I start counting up the approx 20 written exams

Then you get more generic issues

• you can get sub-2000kg TP SEPs but there are no sub-2000kg TP twins, which translates to a fair bit of € in IFR route charges
  • landing fees are higher (many airports here have very steep pricing structures e.g. £30 for a TB20 or £150 for a KA90)
  • fuel burn is higher (a big item in Europe)
  • you need to be current for a twin, otherwise an EFATO will kill you pretty quick
  • EASA threatened to put EU-based “complex” (in this context, ME TPs or jets) under Part M even if N-reg Part 91. Details here. That put the skids under a lot of the potential market for several years, but last I heard they have abandoned that totally in your face anti-USA proposal.

If everybody did their PPL in a twin, or had an old ME Rating, much of the above would go away. But, in Europe, the natural post-PPL progression SE to ME ended some 10 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message