Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of handheld aviation radio in Europe

I’d like to buy a handheld radio like the Icom IC-A24E, both as a backup, to save battery on the ground, and for convenient air-to-air communications with another aircraft. However, what worries me a bit is the disclaimer on Icom’s webpage (translated from German):

“Please respect the legal conditions of usage of your country! Please also keep in mind that some countries (such as Germany), do not issues licences for the usage of these models!”

Can a handheld radio be legally used for aviation in Europe? If so, how, and in which countries? Does this depend on the country of registration of the aircraft (mine is France), or where the airplane is flying?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

In the UK handhelds are allowed – there’s a self-certification system whereby manufacturers confirm they meet the requirements, but there’s no centrally administered ‘approval’ system. But the approval seems to be valid only within the UK. In fact, if my understanding is correct, if the French authorities made a similar declaration it would be illegal to use a handheld in France in a British aircraft, even if the same radio were to be approved for use in France.

https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294978578

It seems frustrating that the cheapest installed radios (trig etc) are at least 5 times the price of equivalent handhelds.

Last Edited by kwlf at 03 Apr 22:33

Aren’t handhelds covered by the pilot’s existing radio license?

That CAA document [ local copy ] probably means exactly nothing. I reckon it is like a manufacturer of pilot watches getting an STC And I am not kidding; I am sure that if Breitling could get an STC they would get one instantly!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who is going to make a ramp check up there ? And how possible will that be ?

LGGG

Allowed in BE. I know several instructors who have one, to guide students from the runway, especially during first solo. I had one myself semi-permanently installed in my ultralight before acquiring the Trig TY91. And yes, one is supposed to get them registered.

NB “at least 5 times the price” seems a bit exaggerated but even 3 times is frustrating. I reckon it’s the smaller production volumes that do it.

Last Edited by at 04 Apr 07:56
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

And yes, one is supposed to get them registered.

Interresting case about Belgium, I purchased a Yaesu handheld radio + VOR receiver (FTA-550) as backup and for ground usage before start-up.
I wanted to get a license from the Regulator in charge of Telecom & Spectum il Belgium (BIPT-IBP¨T) for the radio and received as message that the radio was not certified and that they transferred the file to the to Civil Aviation Authority…That was 7 months ago… this reminds me that I should send them a reminder….

Last Edited by jfw at 04 Apr 09:08
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Interesting indeed. When I queried the BIPT, they replied that they do not have a list of certified equipment. I find that difficult to imagine, perhaps my question was not worded in the strange style that official instances use… I work very nearby, ought to go along one day and have a chat. Besides, I still need to get my TY91 registered.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Currently the TY91 is £1025-£1450 in the UK. The Yaesu 550 is £206, but I’ve seen it for <£200 in the past.

The Yaesu FTA-550 is available in the UK for <£180 at the moment.

EGTT, The London FIR

Peter wrote:

Aren’t handhelds covered by the pilot’s existing radio license?

No. Your license gives you the right to operate an aeronautical radio.
Here in DK all transmitting equipment need a permit unless it is a PMR or CB radio.

EKRK, Denmark
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message