Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leipzig EDDP

Flew in yesterday. Very friendly large airport. When I say large I mean enormous. Two very long runways, massive apron. Just no aircraft....

Sounds like DHL operate from there at night but dead quiet during the day and quite reasonable landing fees.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, Leipzig is great - and so is Dresden!

Two very long runways, massive apron...

And a village between the runways. I've never seen that anywhere else. But Leipzig has the most horrible security control of all German airports.

... and so is Dresden!

Yes. I prefer it over Leipzig. Better crew facilities, better restaurants, better connection to the city, the city itself is much more beautiful and the security guys are friendlier. In winter they have so few scheduled flights that sometimes GA flights will show on the large display in the main terminal...

EDDS - Stuttgart

To my surprise, there are reports of microlights being flown quite legally into these (supposedly) big airports. Myself trained to consider controlled airspace a NO NO for microlights, Germany seems to be more flexible. Have to try it out one day!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In eastern Germany we have quite a lot of huge airports with nearly no traffic. Only to name a few, Leipzig, Dresden, Erfurt, Magdeburg Cochstedt, Schwerin, Rostock etc.

In think in most cases it was decided after the reunification of Germany to modernize many airports without any idea what kind of traffic might be expected.

So today we have a lot of great IFR training airports costing the tax payer incredible amounts to maintain...

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That's why I did most of my IFR training in East Germany, flying up from Munich. Dresden is perfect of GA - modern facilities, public transport to the city,... the City itself!

To my surprise, there are reports of microlights being flown quite legally into these (supposedly) big airports. Myself trained to consider controlled airspace a NO NO for microlights, Germany seems to be more flexible. Have to try it out one day!

Jan, what about coming to Mallorca during the weekend of May 1st next year? You sound like a nice person to have around on a little fly-in that I am organizing for pilots from the Benelux. Spain being Spain, plenty of fields to choose from for UL's. Legal or illegal, you choose... If you are not comfortable doing a 100 nm sea crossing, I'd be happy to fly along you and throw you a raft if needed.

Aeroplus, what about you? Would be nice to meet you too. If Jean does not want to fly here, what about picking him up on the way?

I do apologize for the OT..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Jan, what about coming to Mallorca during the weekend of May 1st next year? Aeroplus, what about you?

Yes guys, would be great to meet you up in Mallorca! I'll be there as well. Weekend is blocked in the agenda, aircraft is booked and I've two fellow IR pilots that will join.

Len

Aart, thanks for the compliment, but no the idea is not very attractive to me. Try to plan it with 80 knots ground speed and 4 hours autonomy, no reserves... and you might see why. But I suggest you create a thread of its own for this nice idea.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message