Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LELC for 75th anniversary airshow

10 Posts

The Spanish Air Force (Ejercito del Aire) is hosting one of their largest airshows in recent times to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Air Force Academy (AGA or Academia General del Aire) in Murcia (LELC) on June 8th-10th

AGA 75 aniversario website

This is where all Spanish Air Force officers are trained, both pilots and non-pilots.

Promises to be good. Website is only Spanish but should be easy to google-translate

They even have made a space for accredited spotters next to the runway threshold! (accreditation consists of showing your website with own airplane pics)

Main static show is on the North runway with public access on the 9th

Main airshow is on the 10th, over the sea on the runway centreline extension visible from either of the main beaches at San Javier.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio
LESB, Spain

LELC has a strict PPR system for parking restrictions operating year-round (for a mostly empty apron…) per AIP SPAIN AD2 LELC section 20
For the airshow they have a NOTAM out restricting operational hours within reason but that’s it.
I followed the regulation and on May 31st filed PPR and got it approved to visit early on the 10th departing with our Cessna from LESB Mallorca at opening time (a late 0615Z way after sunrise, another bugger ) and arriving 30’ before the NOTAM curtail. The civilian apron operator was hesitant to approve saying that if I was late then I would not be allowed to land and I would had to divert and they would not be liable and blah blah…but they eventually approved.
The following day I got an email from the airport cancelling my parking approval since the Air Force had sent a note reserving ALL parking locations at the civil apron for military use from June 8th-11th. This effectively bans any GAT operations at the airport during the show days.
Since there is no NOTAM restricting such operations I find this deceiving, even more so after they had already granted approval.
I find it abbusive that they simply block ALL parking locations instead of blocking 2, 3, or 6 locations leaving the rest to civilian PPR, and without having the courage to publish a NOTAM eliminating civilian use of the airport for those four days.
Furthermore, the North runway is notamed unavailable during the show days (the north side of it is used for the static exhibits) . So the whole south half of the rwy is effectively available for military parking, with the possible restriction of the few static exhibit hours when no airplanes could go in or out.

I have sent a kind email to the PR officer at AGA considering the above and requesting that they free one mor more parking locations at the civilian apron but expect it to be of little consequence. Trying to get contacts too at the PR office of the Chief of Staff…

I find it appalling that they are trying to give an mpression of opening to the masses during those days but they dont allow civilian traffic without even a NOTAM…not that it would change much but at least its official! They would proibably feel embarrased to publish it at such short notice…

Bugger! Any ideas or comments of encouragement?

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Antonio
LESB, Spain

OK since I started it I’ll continue my self-contained thread…

Eventually the air force PA office did answer and confirmed that they had not blocked all parking spaces in the civilian apron and that I should be able to speak to the civil airport operator , AENA, who are managing the remaining spaces.
Getting in touch back with them they eventually admitted to not wanting any GA traffic those days due to security reasons and the expected mixup of VIP official traffic , which eventually included the king. I still did not get any explanation why they did not publish a NOTAM.

We ended flying to LELH 25NM west and getting a car lift back to LELC.
It was a great airshow by Spanish standards, at a beautiful location, whith an attendance of over 250000 people. Military and civilian authorities handled it beautifully wih great organisation.
A pity flyers were not welcome.

Last Edited by Antonio at 12 Jun 21:39
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks for the report Antonio

I thought Spain has some F16s…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. No F-16’s.
Our jet Air Force is domestic C-101 (in the pics) and F-5B’s (aka T-38) for training, and f-18 and Typhoon for fighter-attack.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi Antonio,

Sorry, only seen your post today and therefore late to the party, story of my life I guess…

Really ridiculous parking rules, but good to hear you all had a great time!

Thx complex-pilot. Yup, great fun, especially for my kids who were in the water during the whole 4-hr worth of airshow!!

What is foolish that they use an AIP section explicitly intended to handle “apron capacity” to take care of their security concerns during a period of high VIP+officials activity, for two reasons:
a) This is not the published intent of the AIP section, a NOTAM should be used for that, and
b) Surely there are other ways to address security concerns that do not effectively forbid the 2, 3 or 4 (yes, Spain is such that there would be no more) aircraft that would be flying in for the show, especially those islanders like us who cannot drive there from home.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message