Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lelystad as an IFR alternate in Netherlands

When planning a flight to Netherlands I found that Lelystad has an instrument approach for both runway ends – an NDB with the option of using an off-site DME or timed – which is marked as requiring the full procedure to be flown, no straight in approaches required. Minima is 700 feet and you are vectored by Schiphol approach. The AIP entry also mentions that there is a slot allocation for IFR approaches (I guess they are rationed) and that VFR traffic should keep out of the way when one is in progress.

A couple of years ago, Aeroplus had commented on here that

The Lelystad airfield is VFR only during daytime operations and IFR only after end UPD until 21.00 hours LT on weekdays only.

This implies that IFR is only available after sunset in the evenings which doesn’t quite match that.

A few questions
1) Is this IFR approach used much?
2) Autorouter lists ELHE as VFR only. Is this now outdated?
3) Why insist the full procedure is flown? Surely if vectored onto the final approach by Schiphol this would be as useful
4) Netherlands does have a few RNAV LPV approaches (3 so far). Are there any plans for them here? NDBs seem pretty archaic to me for Western Europe.
5) Would you agree that EHLE is a good alternate to list in IFR conditions during daytime?

Last Edited by DavidC at 17 Nov 20:38
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Yes, Lelystad is VFR during the day and IFR at night. That does not prevent you from using it as an alternate because there is no requirement for an alternate to have an instrument approach (for private operators).

2) Autorouter lists ELHE as VFR only. Is this now outdated?

autorouter knows when it is IFR and when not. That is published by Eurocontrol. I believe it’s the only airport in Europe operating on such a scheme, we had to implement support for it.

This is from AIS Netherlands

The following restrictions apply for these instrument procedures:
- Instrument procedures are only to be used MON-FRI (EXC HOL) during AD OPR HR, before UDP or after UDP after 1920 (1820).
- The number of flights which may use these procedures is restricted and prior permission is required.
- IFR training flights are not allowed.

Last Edited by Jesse at 17 Nov 21:01
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Of course if you can wait until April 2018 we will have ILS/GPS approaches on both runways available 07:00 – 23:00 7 days a week with full ATC

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thanks for the super-quick answers. It does seem like quite an anomaly to have them only available at very specific times and days.

achimha wrote:

That does not prevent you from using it as an alternate because there is no requirement for an alternate to have an instrument approach (for private operators)

I suppose it’s quite valid to ask Schiphol to vector you with a cloudbreak down to 1000 feet from which you can proceed visually. Since the minima is 700 feet it doesn’t make that much difference.

Having just done an IPC under the FAA system, I was reminded that their rules about alternates are somewhat different.

Last Edited by DavidC at 17 Nov 21:14
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

What does “UDP” mean?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi DavidC, Lelystad is my home base and I fly the NDB approach every now and then.
Lelystad is VFR during daytime and becomes IFR after sunset. You need a slot in order to land there IFR. The slot is used for separation purposes; they accept 1 aircraft every 20 minutes. Just phone the tower: +31 320 288354 to get a slot. There are no additional costs involved if you land before 21:00LT.

The approach is used mainly by local pilots and business jets to arrive after sunset.
You need to fly the full procedure. My request for a self positioning was refused by Schiphol Approach.

A night landing at Lelystad can be challenging with only runway edge lights and a PAPI…

During daytime, I arrive at Lelystad with a cloudbase of at least 700ft. I do the cloudbreak over the lake:

Lelystad will grow to a full blown airport with heavy CAT which is expected to be finished in 2018, link.

As an alternate in IFR conditions during daytime I always divert to Groningen EHGG, but that happens maybe once per year.

Airborne_Again wrote:

What does “UDP” mean?

Uniform Daylight Period

How do you do a cloud break down to 700 ft without an IAP? (Regulation-wise I mean.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The VFR during daytime with IFR after sunset (or more correctly after end UDP) is utilized not only at EHLE but also at EHTE (Teuge). Seemingly LVNL (Dutch ATC) does not want a mix of VFR and IFR traffic to uncontrolled airfields. To make it even more complicated: at EHLE they have training slots for Night VFR from the end of UDP to 20:20 LT for flightschools based at the aerodrome, so they can teach night VFR. During that time, UDP period is over, but IFR arrivals are not accepted. From 20:20 LT on until 21:00 IFR arrivals are accepted. From 21:00 until 22:00 LT they are accepted as well if you reserve the slot in advance and at an extra price. The all only on weekdays excluding Saturday and Sunday. During the weekend, there are no IFR operations or night VFR operations going on there. So, Night VFR is not allowed in The Netherlands except for training purposes.

This all seems rather complicated, but if you know it and are based there, it is convenient enough to get you in at night or let you depart (earliest 07:00 LT) in the dark early morning.

No IFR procedures are allowed during daytime. Also, at night when you fly the NDB approach, you are not allowed to fly the timed NDB approach anymore without prior permission from Schiphol Approach (LVNL). You have to fly the NDB-DME procedure.

EDLE, Netherlands
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message