Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lelystad - crazy prices

All the way from Norway...and then go to the Netherlands??? ;-)

Couldn't help thinking the same - often found Norwegians a bit on the queer side (sorry guys, don't take it personally!) - but of course every individual can have individual reasons for whatever individual preference. It's a good thing we're under no obligation to share preferences! Facit: don't question the initiative. But of course the wink was and is noticed and respected and appreciated.

flying is not cheap

Here I have to protest firmly. Even if "cheap" is a very relative word, private flying can be as inexpensive as many other hobbies. It all depends on the levels of freedom and comfort and privacy one desires, and the amount of own labour one is willing and able to bring in. Aviation has the disavantage that own labour can only contribute to flying of the lowest level of freedom, i.e. permit aircraft; in Europe at least, which is the scope of this forum. But perhaps this discussion is worth a thread of its own?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sorry guys, the landing charge at Rotterdam or Lelystad is not cheap but flying is not cheap. For the rest the service at Lelystad is as good as you can get it. I have a share in an aircraft that is stationed at Lelystad. The first landing is an overland landing. If you do training at the airfield, the local flights and landings are a lot cheaper.

The Lelystad airfield is VFR only during daytime operations and IFR only after end UPD until 21.00 hours LT on weekdays only.

I have more than 120 flights going out of or into EHLE in my logbook and I cannot record one instance where I was not feeling welcome. In case of special requests (like coming in late at 22.00 hours LT) or asking for a direct, I was always treated well.

The airport is well equipped with a long runway. The runways are kept clear of snow/ice in wintertime. The public transportation is there, but I have no experience with it.

In case you need help, send me a PM and I can get you extra information.

Then next time you fly to Le Bourget (which I did recently), only then you complain about the landing and handling costs (over 430 euro for a Cirrus SR22T for a 3 hour visit).

EDLE, Netherlands

All the way from Norway...and then go to the Netherlands??? ;-) Sorry for the OT...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi there,

We are two friends, planning to go to Lelystad and Rotterdam first week in july with C172 from Norway. Would you please tell me that you know about landing fees and other things that costs.

Regards Stian Andersen

There are 2 clubs.

Rotterdam Aeroclub (RAC) +31104157215 www.rac-nl.com & Vliegclub Rotterdam (VCR) +31104153353 www.vliegclubrotterdam.nl

You may park on the Lima platform or on the Foxtrot platform (Tarmac).

Yesterday I talked with a friend that is based in Rotterdam. I was told that light GA can land there without the need to use the handling agents by calling the aeroclub, then you will be invited. Your details will be taken and ETA will be required. Upon arrival you will have to mention it to ATC that will direct you to the aeroclub, parking is on the grass only. The fees will be airport fees only.

The aeroclub number is: 00-31-104-153-353.

I hope that this help.

Ben

Did you ever see the low vfr traffic in New York?

Yes I did. You can fly through the Hudson corridor.

1200 ft is very uncomfortable, especially with high winds and the turbulence.

Schiphol is an easy destination with a rate 2 turn into final (so keep the speed up). ATC is very helpful, they are quite flexible if needed. There was a heavy shower cell over Victor, so they vectored me around this cell.

United Kingdom

I don't see the problem here.

What's wrong with flying controlled VFR when it's clear VMC above 1500ft?

Denying higher VFR altitudes seems like lazy airspace management to me.

specifically exempts any UK registered aircraft on a private flight from the need to carry an ELT.

When flying abroad, the more restrictive regulation in that country takes precedence.

An ELT is needed when crossing the international border. It is not needed otherwise. Very stupid.

OK, I did a bit of mountain reading the Dutch AIP.

Section 1.5.4.1 Equipment for VFR flights

If VFR below 1200 feet and outside the North Sea Amsterdam Area, then Mode S not required. Activation of Mode A/C is prohibited anywhere in the Amsterdam FIR

Section ENR 2.2.4

Mode S is mandatory in Transponder Mandatory Zones at all times (24 hours) CTRs up to 3000 feet are exluded from the TMZs

From a legal aircraft equipment perspective, I think this favours access to Rotterdam (from the UK) compared to Lelystad, because you could avoid the Amsterdam zone.

Mode C, VFR, 1200 feet shouldn't be a problem into Rotterdam (apart from how strange it is to fly over heavy industrial areas at that height as mentioned above).

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Regarding the need for ELT

I believe ELT is now a requirement for any international flight. PLB will not suffice.

I've been doing a bit of digging around various archives on this. It seems that here in the UK, the CAA suddenly and dramatically introduced retrospective legislation requiring ELTs for all aircraft in April 2007. After some outrage, they "clarified" that PLBs (including unapproved ones) were acceptable compliance for light aircraft. (Detailed in this ukga forum thread). The original notification orders have been superceded several times, and the latest one ORS4 963specifically exempts any UK registered aircraft on a private flight from the need to carry an ELT.

However, I don't know if specific national legislation in Holland requires a ELT or PLB. The link above to the entire Dutch AIP was a bit of a mountain to search through, and I don't know if they have similar supplementary notes like our ORS series.

p.s. actually the Dutch are very favourable to FCL008, the Basa, etc..

I'm sure I read somewhere that EASA's latest position seems to be that any light aircraft on private flights with up to 6 seats does not require an ELT. This summary of ELT regulations from 2011 suggests that an EASA directive would remove the need for ELTs anywhere and formally allow PLBs. If the Dutch authorities are as keen to support EASA's mandates, then perhaps they can lead the way and remove this unnecessary burden (of an ELT).

At this time, I am still unclear if I am legally permitted to fly a UK aircraft to the Netherlands VFR (below the TMA) wearing a PLB and not a ELT.

Anyway, my view is that if I ditched in the sea, I'd rather be wearing a working PLB sitting in a liferaft than watching my aircraft (and its ELT) sinking to the bottom.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message