Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lidia DC3T in Antarctica

10 Posts

Enjoyed this video giving a glimpse of the engineering can-do from those Canucks in polar conditions.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Spectacular!

‘Touque’ off to them….. really enjoyed watching it too Robert, many thanks, but you have to wonder if that made any financial sense at all to rebuild a 70 year airframe on site … You first watch it and think ok they are going to airlift it out and fix it at home… no they are doing it there! They are truely passionate about their work and their aircraft, great stuff

wonderful aircraft the DC3, doing a type rating on one of these (there is a school in the southern US that offers it) is very high on my dream list

ORTAC

@Podair,

The Basler DC-3 conversion only contains a few original parts, they are pretty much new aircraft. They are pretty expensive to buy so I imagine it was worth their while. Also they have about a year lead time if you order one as they have to source a suitable airframe to perform the conversion on.

If it was a stock DC-3 I imagine they would have taken the avionics and engines and left the fuselage there!

London Area

That was quite an operation I enjoyed watching it.

I did the arithmetic too, and I think there’s no way it made economic sense except that I imagine they’d otherwise have had to haul the carcass out of there by some other means.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 15:03

Now I know there is someone out there who could fix my aircraft …

EDxx, Germany

Great video, thanks for posting.

Forever learning
EGTB

Great video. Reminded me of this old one. Full marks for the can-do mentality in both.

EHLE

Did they say 40-somthing days at 5k/day – $200,000?

There’s one on this page for 4,500,000:

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/mcdonnell_douglas/vintage/dc_3.htm

so the economics would seem to work out.

Awesome movie. Thank you.

LFNR

Yep, I really enjoyed that, too!

Bordeaux
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message