Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Local IFR flight - is it possible?

Vladimir wrote:

How do you generate such a flight plan in autorouter?

Which such a flight?

VFR alps crossings are automatically offered if it seems beneficial – so that usually means for aircraft with limited altitude capability.

You can automatically generate A-A flights – just enter the same airport for both departure and destination.

If you want Y flight with manually specified pickup and drop points, you can’t do that in one go. You’d have to create a route with VFR arrival and specified drop point, and one with VFR departure with specified pickup point, and then cut&paste them together.

LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

Which such a flight?

I meant the Alp crossing, i.e. IFR-VFR (Alps)-IFR.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

For flying low – photography e.g. this was taken from FL129 which is impossible under IFR

It is about 2000ft above the terrain. I did that under VFR because the Swiss would not let me into their Class C (base FL130). The minimum Eurocontrol level there is about FL150/160.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

planning of local flight is not that complex – the biggest issue is to convince CFMU computer to accept routing. Select and of STAR out of airport, put STAY there, put STAYINFO into remark section and you are done. the other option is to speak to tower – they can accomodate local IFR flight easier, even without filling flight plan to CFMU computer. But this might be airport specific issue

(FPL-OKUTC-IG -C172/L -SDR/S -LKTB1605 -N0095F050 TUMKA1D TUMKA STAY1/0030 TUMKA TUMKA2R -LKTB0115 LKMT LZIB -DOF/150807 OPR/F AIR STAYINFO1/APPS AT LKTB PBN/L1 -E/0400 P/001 R/E A/WHITE C/ORLITA)

LKKU, LKTB

What is the meaning of the STAY? I have never heard of that…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

as name indicates, this is to tell ATC you want to stay in the area for reason mentioned in the field 18. You do not want to stay over TUMKA but there is not way to plan STAY over LKTB airport. ATC is used to that especially at airport where more training activity is happening – as LKTB is. Actually, you can plan departure to TUMKA, enroute segment over the LKTB (there is BNO VOR), stay there, enroute to beginning of SID. but this is too complex and will confuse ATC
some info at http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/ino_resources/webhelp/help/workflow_bf_create_fpl.htm

Last Edited by Michal at 07 Aug 08:11
LKKU, LKTB

And what is APPS in the STAYINFO? Approaches?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

yes, or you can directly say ILS APPROACH at LKTB – or NDB APP if you are bold. I guess there is no exact format required there.

LKKU, LKTB

If you add STAY1/SomePoint you have to indicate your intentions in Field 18 with STAYINFO1 (or STAYINFO2,3,4,5) if I’m not mistaken. I filed the following this spring for some IFR training (holding at ALM VOR and then approaches at Sturup):

Route: DCT ALM STAY1/0020 ALM DCT SUP STAY2/0030 SUP

Field 18:
STAYINFO1: AWK ALM
STAYINFO2: APCH SUP

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 07 Aug 08:29

for IFR trainings I call the OPS of the airport in ELLX and they will take care of the FPL

I have not tried the STAY thin yet, although I have seen it documented in the telegram bot interface.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message