Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Local to Sandown

Peter – Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, it’s very kind. I will check which are the missing pictures (although I think you got them all) and email them to you tonight or tomorrow. I thought I had managed to get the imgur images up within the 2 hour edit window but may have botched it as I did it quite quickly. I will also see about limiting the size before uploads. EuroGA is great in that you learn about aviation as well as basic IT!

Stickandrudderman – I have seen your Falco a few times and it also looks much loved like G-MACH. The registration is a word, right (I am not sure if there is some unspoken etiquette about mentioning owner’s call signs in a forum)? I will definitely say hi next time and the SVFR sounds good too. Two of the instructors commented during my training that ATC exists primarily for the big boys, but they are there to help us “lesser” folk (not get in the way of the big boys) as well and that I should not be afraid to use them, so long as I know what I am about. Actually, I noticed in Rob Vee’s ABAR report that he did just that transit which seems to open the possibilities for variety as PiperArcher also mentions.

JasonC – Thanks, Geeky Flyer was clear on this but I was trying to remember the basics and it’s good to have the confirmation.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

You did most of them fine but I still see some are missing. However they were also missing from the original post (the flickr links) so I could not retrieve them and fix them up. Loading the missing-pic imgur URLs into a browser window shows nothing so clearly imgur is not serving it either. Weird…

Anyone who wants to post a load of pics and wants to save themselves time, just reduce the jpegs to say 1024 wide and email (or dropbox etc) the whole lot to me and I will upload them to a site from which they are guaranteed to serve fine and will never disappear. I will then email you a link to where they are so you can pick the links out of there easily.

Photo hosting sites are often a pain because they try to make money in weird ways and often don’t serve some images when the client is another machine. For example Photobucket won’t serve small images (e.g. emoticons) if the retrieval is another machine and not (apparently) a human with a browser.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Jun 07:53
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, I will check it out. I have been known to cause computers to stop working merely by standing near them so I am not surprised by imgur’s behaviour…

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN, good report! thanks for posting.
A quick note about the nav software I was using:

I had purchased air nav pro prior the flight with the UK 500k maps, all for only around £30 on nexus 7(they have a discount going on). Feeling really confident that I could pin point our exact location on the map, I decided to squeeze through the gap between Wycombe ATZ and Heathrow CTA.

As soon as we took off the air nav pro app decided to kill the GPS. At that moment I thought ‘I should have spent that £30 on beer’. Without the gps working I decided to go around to the west of Wycombe as suggested by one of the instructors. When we leveled up, i turned off air nav pro and switched on UK AirspaceAVOID (the free app). GPS regained the signal back in about 10 seconds and continued working flawlessly throughout the entire trip.

Later I experimented with air nav pro on the ground and noticed that as soon as you start moving it looses the GPS signal. This was happening only with this app (gps works fine with any other app). I contacted the developer company and it seems they are aware of this issue and they’re fixing it in the next release. They also gave me a link to install the previous version which doesn’t seem to suffer from this. I tried this on the ground and it does seem to work ok. But It does feel like air nav pro was rushed to get it to work with Andriod. The company is saying they have hired new developers and they expecting a release end of June with lots of bug fixes.

Thanks Geeky Flyer! Either way it worked out well with Airspace Avoid (not as I was incorrectly calling it, “Aware”).

See if you can get ANP to give you £30 of beer tokens by way of compensation

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Thanks guys! Beautiful pictures. These trip reports are always very inspiring!

Another excellent report and I second the comment made earlier that it’s nice to read VFR reports – and especially from less experienced pilots too. These type of trips seem much more within my grasp at my current ability level, so do keep them coming!

UK, United Kingdom

The other lesson for us all (whatever our level of experience) is that everything is daunting until you try it. Sure prepare well and take precautions, but equally get out and fly. It is even easier the second time!

EGTK Oxford

The other lesson for us all (whatever our level of experience) is that everything is daunting until you try it

Second that.

I was lucky that I had instructors that pushed me and not just taught me to pass an exam. I have learned more from shared experiences than I could ever learn on my own. Plan the Flight and Fly the Plan! Keep the reports coming.

P.s. God that sounds like BS Bingo… but I assure you it isnt.

Last Edited by italianjon at 16 Jun 13:28
EDHS, Germany

Rather glorious thread resurrection, am wondering how close to the founding of EuroGA this was?

Just returned from EGHN where the owner has made it a popular destination with community events and a popular restaurant. The runway is turf with supporting mesh and can be quite undulating, so recommend soft field take off. While the surface may not suffer from extreme water logging, I understand parking can be limited if there has been rain. They get visited by PC-12 airplanes, and have an LofA from Border Control. The airfield is uncontrolled/unlicensed but the radio was manned when we used it. While the overhead join is recommended, other airplanes were joining straight to downwind, and there is a need to build situational awareness as circuit etiquette appeared to be first come first served.

Ground staff very helpful and friendly, and landing fee and overnight came to £32. AvGas was £2.69p/litre.

We stayed at Haven Hotel, five minutes away by taxi. A lot of money has been spent on landscaping and refurbishing the hotel, which has swimming pool, extensive grounds and excellent views, but no restaurant (breakfast yes). Shanklin and Sandown not that well served by restaurants, and getting around without a car means mini cabs.

My wife enjoyed the trip as door to door from IoW to Oxford was under an hour, with only 30 minutes airborne. We came back threading our way OCAS (Solent and Odiham), although outbound we used Bournemouth who are reliable in providing a service, and also arrange a service to cross Solent.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message