Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logging hours as CRI

Yes, they log PIC time.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

No, the very bad thing is that if you fly as CRI then YOU are the PIC. If the “student” wrecks his airplane it might happen that you pay for it. Ever since I learned that I stopped flying much as a CRI. I only do it with close friends.

@MH : Thank you very much for the clarifications.

@Flyer59 : Sure about that? How would the “students” log the flights in this case?

Last Edited by blueline at 10 Aug 09:12
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

@blueline
Yes, I am completely sure, I checked it three times because I had a hard time accepting it. I do these flights for free, but I will certainly not do them if i can be held responsible if the pilot wrecks his plabe on landing …

As an instructor you are responsible, but the holder of the license still logs PIC time.
AMC1 FCL.050 (b)(1)(ii)
the applicant for or the holder of a pilot licence may log
as PIC time all solo flight time, flight time as SPIC and
flight time under supervision provided that such SPIC
time and flight time under supervision are countersigned
by the instructor;

Last Edited by mh at 10 Aug 09:26
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

So let me get this straight, all the time I flew during initial training also counts as PIC time, since at the time I was an “applicant”, if I had my instructor sign the logbook entry for the flight?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

mh wrote:

As an instructor you are responsible, but the holder of the license still logs PIC time.
AMC1 FCL.050 (b)(1)(ii)
the applicant for or the holder of a pilot licence may log
as PIC time all solo flight time, flight time as SPIC and
flight time under supervision provided that such SPIC
time and flight time under supervision are countersigned
by the instructor;

Only under special circumstances. “SPIC” (student pilot in command) is specific to integrated courses for CPL/ATPL (see GM1 to Appendix 3; Appendix 6; FCL.735.H ) and can’t be logged anywhere else.

And regarding the original question:

blueline wrote:

But what if a friend who flies only little wants to come with me for some “refresher flights”?

If your friend holds all the necessary qualifications to perform that flight and acts as pilot in command, you can’t log the hours. If you act as pilot in command, he can’t log the hours. And since no instruction is done, nobody can log instructor hours.

blueline wrote:

Or if he just does his IR training and wants to join me on some IFR flights for additional practice, apart from his course in the ATO? Can I log these hours as instructor hours too?

Are you in IR instructor and instruct within an approved training course of a flight training organisation? Both questions must be answered with yes if you want to log those hours. Otherwise you are pilot in command and your friend is passenger.

EDDS - Stuttgart

tmo wrote:

So let me get this straight, all the time I flew during initial training also counts as PIC time,..

No. It is “dual” time and logged as such.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Are you in IR instructor and instruct within an approved training course of a flight training organisation? Both questions must be answered with yes if you want to log those hours. Otherwise you are pilot in command and your friend is passenger.

I wonder if that is the full story, however, because in the UK an IRI can do freelance IR training (outside an ATO) towards the instrument time required for the CB IR, for example. I recall the IR candidate can pick up up to 30hrs in that way.

But presumably an IRI has to have done the full FI course first, and probably needs the CPL theory exam passes (like an FI needs to teach ab initio EASA PPL). A CRI is not an FI – not a “proper instructor” as some like to point out You can do a CRI on the back of just a PPL, AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

Only under special circumstances. “SPIC” (student pilot in command) is specific to integrated courses for CPL/ATPL (see GM1 to Appendix 3; Appendix 6; FCL.735.H ) and can’t be logged anywhere else.

Yes, but “flight time under supervision” isn’t. If you hold a PPL and take an instructor for refreshing or recurrent training, you are not a student pilot. You are, after all, PIC, and the instructor is an instructor (CRI/FI). The instructor is held liable if he lets the PIC make major mistakes, but essentially the PIC remains in command.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message