Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LOIJ Sankt-Johann in Tirol

There are references to LOIJ in several threads, but I thought a dedicated one would be useful.

To summarize:

• Breathtaking location in walking distance of ski-lifts, lodging and hiking routes.
  • Amicable team providing AFIS-like service
  • Tricky approach needs 3000ft-ceiling unless comfortable with the area.
  • Unmarked obstacles (at least four constructions and >60-ft-tall construction cranes not in google maps) on or near rwy 31 extended centerline and in suggested departure path. Suggest evaluation if take-off-performance-limited.
  • Departure curfew at lunch time.
  • Noise-sensitive, plse adhere to published circuits
  • Hard-apron parking is very limited so parking is usually on grass.
  • Easy access although with limited off-opening-hours security
  • On-airfield restaurant- very welcoming staff
  • 20-min walk to downtown/lodging or 30-min to St Johann ski lifts
  • Multiple lodging options
  • SIXT rental cars available. Book for Sankt Johan in Tirol (beware other Sankt Johann’s in Austria) then call them in advance (+43.6763424999 ) for delivery at airfield (a 16EUR xtra).
  • Taxi available at www.taxi-stjohann.com
  • Paid 35EUR ldg + 120EUR for 6-day parking for Cessna 210
  • As noted elsewhere there is no customs but AIP allows landing/departure from other European countries (ie Switzerland/UK pre-Brexit).

We landed early in the morning and were hiking within 75 mins after landing including calling the rental car office, waiting 30’ for the car, securing the aircraft, moving the copious family luggage into the rental car, having some drinks, sharing details with the airfield staff and driving 5 mins to the start of our hiking trail.
Anticipating an early morning departure, and after some heavy rains, we moved the airplane out of the grass onto the tarmac the previous day with the help of the local staff while being obsequiated to a glider’s aerobatic display.

All in all a very good experience

Nearby:

• Kufstein LOIK is much more performance-limiting
  • Zell-am-See LOWZ is a shorter runway and also has weird parking area
  • Innsbruck LOWI is a full-service IFR international airport but has restrictions for IFR approach
Last Edited by Antonio at 21 Aug 16:19
Antonio
LESB, Spain

A place for the next hiking fly-in ?

LFOU, France

Many thanks Antonio for the great report. Sorry I didn’t get there but August got filled up with boring stuff like, you know, weddings and stuff

Yes I would be definitely interested in flying to LOIJ. It’s been on my list for 2-3 years. Let’s do it this autumn perhaps? After that it would be a “ski fly-in” though I believe only for “black run standard” people

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No worries Peter, my kids filled up the agenda at St Johann anyway! You can buy me that beer at the next get-together…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio, how does it work for non-german speaking pilots in LOIJ. Have been skiing there many times (travel by car) and its on my TODO list in flying. The airfield is listed as “AFIS Non-English” i Jeppesen?

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Interesting. I googled the AIP pages but can’t see that in there, but there is a statement “Local aerodrome regulations see LOIJ AD 2.20” and I can’t find that document; only an index to it. And on the Jepp VFR plate I see just this

Did you find that comment in the Jepp text pages? There I see only this (and Jepp text pages are notoriously not quite up to date):

Section 3.3 is just for aerodromes with customs clearance facilities, not LOIJ.

I was also in contact with LOIJ in early 2016 and they did not mention this.

Administrator

I just checked in Rocket Route on LOIJ, and nothing is mentioned about the AFIS beeing non-English. The AD 2.20 has only this:

AD 2.20 LOCAL AERODROME REGULATIONS
1. Local flying restrictions 1.1 Between 1100 and 1230 (1000 and 1130): – Departures of power-driven aircraft are NOT permitted, – Landings of power-driven aircraft are permitted. Exempted from this regulation are aero-tow flights for sailplanes.

1.2 PPR for arriving helicopters!

1.3 Exemptions: Operational flights of the Ministry of Defense and the Ministry of the Interior, ambulance and rescue flights, flights in executing search and rescue service and flights of Austro Control GmbH.
-—————————————

The “Non-English” comment was under “communations tabsheet” in Flight Map, but I think that info is wrong.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Oh yes, found it in FliteMap too

A lot of the stuff in right-click / Properties there is bunk. I reckon it works well in the USA, with their streamlined airport data system, but Europe is more complicated.

Gosh I thought there was nobody under the age of 99 running FliteMap

Administrator

I found no problem with English.
I didnt even have to use my four-word knowledge of the German language (Ich spreche kein Deutsch)

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Aug 21:18
Antonio
LESB, Spain

We have many Austrian and German pilots on EuroGA. I am sure if there was such a restriction, somebody would have said so by now.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message