Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LOIK Kufstein and Erl

I am taking my family to Erl in Austria in the Navajo for a few days. This is right on the Austria/Germany border on the A93, just south of the A8. The nearest rail station is Kufstein.

There is a perfectly placed airfield LOIK Kufstein-Langkampfen, but it says in its documentation that it is restricted to sub-2T SEPs. The south westerly runway also has a hugely displaced threshold of about 400m, reducing the landing distance to 400m. Does anyone know whether these problems can be overcome, or is it a non-starter?

If I can’t go there, does anyone have any recommendations, save Munchen, Salzburg and Innsbruck, all of which are rather far away? Everywhere that I can see on SkyDemon has very short runways.

LOWZ Zell am See looks possible, and is at least on the right railway line, but it is still rather short for a fully laden Navajo. Is it sufficiently easier to get to Erl than Innsbruck to make it worthwhile?

EDNA Flugplatz Ampfing-Waldkraiburg is also on the railway, but once I am there I may as well go to Munchen.

If I am stuck with an international airport, would you choose Munchen, Innsbruck or Salzburg?

Does anyone have any creative ideas? How would you get to Erl in a 3T aircraft with a 100 kt Vat?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Kufstein is also closed in winter AFAIK.

The German area south of Munich does not have any publicly usable airfields. Too many rich people wanting silence…

Closest airfield to your destination would probably be St. Johann LOIH.

After that (with rental cars) Innsbruck.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you. This trip is planned after Kufstein opens in April (I am thinking ahead!)

One of the reasons for planning early is that there appears to be a requirement for FNTP-II training for Innsbruck, which might take some setting up.

You slightly confused me with LOIH, which is near Friedrichshafen , but LOIJ St Johann certainly looks worth looking into, thank you. It certainly seems to have a rail connection to Kufstein. But does it have any advantage over Innsbruck?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I doubt you can park at Innsbruck LOWI for any length of time – at least check this out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh dear! It is looking more and more as if going Commercial is the only way :-(

That is going to dent my credibility in the family as to why I have an aeroplane. :-(

EGKB Biggin Hill

If it was me, I would try to find a local-language pilot who can phone up the LOWI aeroclub and ask them if you can park on their space. That is the standard approach for this sort of thing, but IME aeroclubs are absolutely notorious for not communicating

• in a foreign language (google translate deals with that one)
  • with a stranger, especially a foreign one
  • in writing where some unofficial stuff is involved (also applies to avgas, where applicable e.g. much of Italy)

There must be somebody here on EuroGA who can phone them, in German?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you, I will ask that favour as the date approaches.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Maybe they’ll have a stand at Friedrichshafen.

EGKB Biggin Hill

LOIK with a Navajo….
The place is essentially a glider place.
Not only gras, in spring sometimes pretty wet.
And you have a fairly steep climb out, landing is only half your problem.

LOIJ has 750m and low approach possible.
Parking should be OK. During Hahnenkamm ski race there were two PC12 parked…
The train from St Johann goes via Woergl, i.e. halfway to Innsbruck.

LOWI should be your best bet with only parking to be arranged. I could help, if necessary (plan to make IR there)

(I drive along LOIK weekly, fly to LOIJ monthly :-) )

Last Edited by ch.ess at 01 Feb 10:09
EDM_, Germany

Thank you, you sound in an ideal position to advise and help. I’ll get back to you as the day approaches, if I may.

It does sound like Innsbruck, which is fine, so long as I can get parking. Coming into an international airport also saves the Calais/Le Touquet stop.

EGKB Biggin Hill
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message