Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

London Area Airports

Yes; Biggin Hill is a very good functioning airport. It needs to be to support its bizjet traffic, and this functionality is mirrored around Europe at other bizjet airports.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As discussed did a ’’quick’’ trip LFLP (Annecy) EGKP (Biggin) yesterday. I found Biggin to be a wonderful airport. I’ll update the database (need to find the invoice) but paid 88GBP for landing, customs, parking. Marshaller on the ground to help me to parking. Customs are on site (you still need to file a GAR) but have zero interest in you, there was no interest to have a look at my vaccination status or PCR test. I didn’t file the PLF (as I was having a meeting near the airport and back out) and that was no issue either. Even asked if they wanted to see anything and the answer was no. Some of the usual UK nonsense (High vis jackets etc) is in place but is dealt with pragmatically, extremely pragmatically in the case of the yellow jackets (does either of you have a high vis jacket? no? Ok well there are a few new ones here, they are free, just grab one…). 2h43 going, 3h19 mins coming back thanks to a gruelling headwind – 56kts at one stage… went down to FL080 at one stage to try and find calmer winds.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

North of London there are also Wycombe Air Park, Elstree and Stapleford. Also unlicensed North Weald.
If you are talking about the airfields with published IAPs, then the choice is more limited.
GA airfields with AVGAS, reasonable prices (below 400GBP for small a/c) and less than 1hr commute to London city centre: Biggin EGKB, Southend EGMC.
Which ones I’ve missed?

EGTR

Picking up on this old thread, I need to be in London for an in person business meeting and though I have flown into the UK a bunch (usually for London I have used Stapleford) I wanted an airport with facilities and an instrument approach so started looking at this thread again.
While ‘’researching airports’’ (I settled on Biggin, will have the meeting there and fly back out) I stumbled upon this super helpful overview RocketRoute did of London airports.

https://www.rocketroute.com/wp-content/uploads/Airports-of-London.pdf

Biggin do onsite COVID testing as well, I won’t use the service but will report back.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I am surprised but OK.
It would be a rather slow plane and I already came to Souhend so was looking a bit more vintage/charming place

I see Denham as 20 minutes by foot from denham station which leads to Marylebone. I think we will make up with that.
Thanks for the ride offer

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 Nov 16:45
LFOU, France

Yes Southend is “the place”, it has everything and weather is always nice over there vs the rest of UK SE, the other one I know is Headcorn (VFR only but you will have more luck landing there in any weather than going IFR to Biggin) with 25min walk to train station, most others will require 10min taxi ride (or 15min cycle or +45min walk) to the nearest train station

Stapleford, North Weald, Damyns Hall and also Redhill, Biggin, Elstree, Denham going further
If you get to the first 3 when COVID-19 is over, let me know, I may offer a ride

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Nov 13:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you need a place with a nice runway, IAPs and night, then Southend is THE place. And it is cheap!
Elstree is OK, no IAP though, VFR only. But it DOES require a short taxi ride (5 km, less than 10 min, AFIS can call it for you).

EGTR

We would like to visit somebody living in London who doesn’t have a car (when restrictions will be lifted of course)
We would either leave the plane and take the train or the person would join us by train at the airfield if there is a nice place to chat/drink.
Flight would be day VFR in a basic plane.
So I am looking for airfields which are connected to London only by walk + train or tube. Avgas and a cafe are nice bonuses. All the rest is is optional.

I see Denham as a good candidate, or Southend. Any other ?

Edited for more info after arj’s answer. sorry

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 Nov 11:52
LFOU, France

Info on this tragic accident:
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2014/08/friends-honor-indiana-teen-killed-in.html?m=1

Looks like they couldn’t climb, being over max weight may have had a larger impact than the wind mentionned by the ground crew.

EGTF, LFTF

According to nationalrail.co.uk it can take as little as 1hr11min to get from Denham Station (yes, a short walk) to High Street Kensington tube station. Might be a little less since this site often over estimates platform changes. I’ve not been but apparently it would meet you VFR criteria. See here

Otherwise Southend is only 1hr30 by train with no taxi ride and much easier to get to from the continent.

Last Edited by S57 at 13 Oct 22:19
S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message