Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Longer window for editing

Hi Peter,
I am not about to tell you what you have to do with your own forum, I understand that you set the rules – and we either accept them or stay away.

I just want to add: It is not your business “why” somebody wants to delete what he wrote, or posted, or a photo maybe. It can have a thousand reasons and (for me) it’s part of my personal freedom to be able to modify or delete any posting I ever made. It just FEELS better. It is less important in my opinion that a thread has 100% integrity than that I have personal rights about what i write.

But I have accepted the rules, so be it was you wish!

I think the 2 hour window is right. Too many subsequent edits beyond that period mean any responses to that post by someone else soon later become out of place, and just strange looking. However I do think it’s useful to be able to delete a post yourself – though I appreciate also that you lose the continuity of a thread if the deleted post just dissapears and there is a post# out of sequence, or there is a message which says “post deleted” and then people start asking why.

There are different solutions for different requirements.

The reason I started my own aviation site over 10 years ago was that I wanted total control over the trip writeups etc and to be able to update them (stuff like airport opening hours or whatever) potentially years later.

And I am not the only one who has done that.

Plus I wanted the site to be totally immune from abuse. I didn’t use any of the standard off the shelf blog software because their main USP is allowing reader comments and that then allows abuse – unless you moderate the comments. Or they can just trash it via some PHP bug…

But that is not the same concept as an online community like EuroGA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

off the shelf blog software because their main USP is allowing reader comments

In WordPress you simply SWITCH OFF the user comments :-)

Yes, I can see that you like “total control” (;-)))

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 04 Feb 09:53

Alexis – if you ever think I do anything contrary to the guidelines then please let me know. I am very careful about that – as any admin/mod should be.

In the meantime, enjoy this very good community, and contribute as much as you can because that is what makes it what it is

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Feb 10:12
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message