Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a KNS80

Hello.

A friend of mine is looking for a KNS80…
Please contact me via PM

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Awsume piece of kit

Now let me just repostion the LHR vor overhead white Waltham…., as 3km of hard runway appear out of the mist.

They come up pretty regularly on eBay. Although I don’t know if anyone could raise the required paperwork these days.

We are planning on an avionics upgrade this June so we have one for sale then.
Can your friend wait that long?

I think we may have a KNS80 sitting in the quarantine store……… Not sure if it works but is came out of an aircraft having a Garmin upgrade

Unless you’re replacing an existing broken unit, you’re probably best avoiding the KNS80 now. Very poor parts support (no displays for example). Also if you wanted to do an installation, the unit isn’t FM immune so not legal where a Nav is required bit of kit.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

In theory, you could do the FM immunity with an antenna filter (about 700 quid last I heard) but otherwise a KNS80 is a waste of time to keep going.

Unless you already have one, it has packed up, and you want it working for some reason*, in which case popping a working one off Ebay would do it. That’s what a lot of people do with ADFs etc. Not legally, but there must be an awful shortage of firms who can issue an EASA-1 for a KNS80 now.

* The DME portion does however work and remains a fully legal DME.

Out of interest, what is the “legal” or “legal-ish” procedure for transferring a “believed working” unit from one EASA-reg to another EASA-reg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The plane is N-reg. I don’t have all the details but it’s for replacing a broken unit…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Romain check with your avionics team, but you may want the KNS81 as I believe this model is actually approved for BRNAV while the KNS80 may not be.

If they work they are a good piece of kit to complement an IFR GPS. Arguably a 430W, a nice .833 com, mode S and a KNS81 is a reasonably solid panel – and an ADF for Radio 4.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

pmcobban wrote:

We are planning on an avionics upgrade this June so we have one for sale then.
Can your friend wait that long?

Let me see with him I let you know.
Thanks

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

@Romain,
I have one, used one, serviceable when removed from an n-reg airplane for GTN650 upgrade a year ago. Email me if you want a photo, but I should probably send it for you to try before you make an offer for it.

Ahem…, I also have a nice LORAN receiver, in case anyone is desperately looking for one…

Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message