Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lookout - why are so many pilots so careless?

jeff64 wrote:

In the french military, there is a huge part of initial training dedicated to the lookout training.

I tried to practice the US recommended method of moving head, stopping, moving again, over sectors. I tried to develop it as a habit while driving along I40, I gave up.
I wonder how rigorously any of the lookout methods have bee.n tested Have a look at these animations on human vision. I suspect there is more variation in human software and firmware than there is so far in the computer world.
Vision:
Vision2

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Also, from an actuarial point of view, when you increase look out is important.

In the circuit at a busy London GA airfield a mid air is much more likely than at FL115 over Southern France, for example.

I would not have my head in changing tanks when turning final at Stapleford.

EGKB Biggin Hill

This picture seems innocuous enough but it should be noted that less than 10 seconds later, the Bucker BiPlane was hit by the tail rotor of the helicopter as it ascended, causing the biplane to crash, killing the pilot. If anything, this picture pretty much makes the case for EC and consigns ‘see and avoid’ to the scrapheap where it belongs because neither knew the other was there, nor did they have the chance of spotting each other

Once more, lives are needlessly lost because people refuse to fit transponders / believe that data protection trumps air safety. Angry doesn’t describe how I feel when I see such a waste.

Timothy wrote:

I would not have my head in changing tanks when turning final at Stapleford.

PS: Changing tanks on final? Isn’t that part of your downwind checks…. BUMP F FAILDH where the first F is for Fuel – fullest tank, pump on?

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 09 Jan 09:24
EDL*, Germany

That is an excellent example, Steve. The helicopter could easily have had TCAS (the cost would be irrelevant) and the biplane is a good representation of the community that insists on flying without transponders at all costs. You could actually drop a whole lot of other planes into the photo, in place of the biplane, and we all know what they would be. Their pilots know it too but they prefer to risk it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was rhetorical, rather than a checklist item. My point is that I would rather have changed to the fuller tank (indeed doing the whole approach checklist) ten miles out than scrabbling around head-in when navigating a busy circuit.

But your main point I thoroughly agree with. Electronic conspicuity works far better than the eye.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

The helicopter could easily have had TCAS (the cost would be irrelevant) and the biplane is a good representation of the community that insists on flying without transponders at all costs. You could actually drop a whole lot of other planes into the photo, in place of the biplane, and we all know what they would be. Their pilots know it too but they prefer to risk it.

In quite a lot of instances, these type of aircraft don’t have electrical systems or ancient electrical systems powered by a dynamo. I don’t know when this photo was taken or in what country, but it’s only a recently that portable EC devices have been available and they are only approved at the moment in the UK.

It’s only a minority of operators of these aircraft that are actually against transponders. You would obviously include my aircraft in this category, yet I have mode-C at present and am planning an upgrade (at considerable expense, probably about 15-20% of airframe value once said and done, without actually increasing the airframe value when finished) to put in an upgrade to Mode-S and ADS-B out, even though it’s of limited direct utility to me (the main utility will be that I can tell friends or family when on a trip they can see my progress on flightradar24). Fortunately I do have an electrical system with a modern alternator. My transponder is always set to ALT before takeoff (and it’s actually very useful to do so now, since Ronaldsway got their MLAT secondary radar system finally commissioned which can see the whole island, previously the northern plain had been blocked from radar by high ground).

Last Edited by alioth at 09 Jan 11:23
Andreas IOM

If it was me (without an electrical system) I would buy a KT76C on Ebay, an altitude encoder, and wire it up to a battery.

To hell with the legality; this will trigger any TCAS system and make me visible to various other gadgets (even those not providing azimuth). I would be amazed if anyone got busted for flying with an “illegally installed” Mode C TXP. Any lawyer with half a brain would make the CAA the laughing stock in a court.

A Mode S TXP will do nothing more for you or anybody else, except reveal your tail number to ATC

The prohibition on new installs of Mode C boxes had done a huge dis-service to electronic conspicuity (EC). It feeds the “civil liberties” crowd, feeds the various communities who want to be invisible for other reasons, and feeds the market for all the half-baked EC devices which collectively almost nobody is actually using.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I would buy a KT76C on Ebay, an altitude encoder, and wire it up to a battery.

Couldn’t you just use a potentiometer in place of the KT76C and dial in your altitude?

EGKB Biggin Hill

It would have to be a gray code encoding pot

But actually you can buy a working encoder on, ahem, US Ebay, also. I have several at home. They are easy enough to test on the ground and for low level pottering about they are easy to test in flight by climbing to say 2000ft and calling up ATC for a TXP check.

Or you could replace the altimeter with an encoding one – I have a KEA130A. More expensive…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It would have to be a gray code encoding pot

Really, I didn’t know that. Sorry for the thread drift, but how does an encoder inform the transponder of the altitude then – is it digital? Has it always been digital? I assumed that in the early days of Mode C it would have been a simple voltage.

And are all encoders cross compatible, or do you need the right one for your transponder?

Last Edited by Timothy at 09 Jan 12:43
EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message