Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low-budget / Low-profile meet-up in summer?

Midden Zeeland is fairly central for a lot of people so how about a meetup during the AOPA flyin on July 2nd – AOPA membership not required to attend

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Nice idea of Midden Zeeland or Speyer.
Should we not fix a date ? 02/07 is just fine for me

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Several fine replies after a hesitant start, thanks to all!

• Yes we can always “hike on the back” of another meeting. The EHMZ one seems perfect for this, I will certainly note the date. I have some reasons of my own to fly to that field, anyway. For me it could be a day-return, but I’d be glad if I could camp under the wing. It might also be acceptably near for UK pilots.
  • A bit in the same spirit, we could agree to meet, as many as can and will, at the Schaffen EBDT old-timer fly-in on 13-15 August. Camping is certainly allowed there. As it is very close to home for me, I’ll be glad to help where required.
  • No I would not fix any dates, at least not that far ahead. As has been stated, this kind of meet-up can best be fixed at very short term, when the crucial weather factor can be taken in account. There is little use in agreeing to meet a couple of months from now. The downside is that no accommodation can be pre-booked.
  • Speyer is of course always a good idea but not for the informal multi-day meet-up I have in mind.
  • I tend to agree with Philipp Boscomantico that Southern Germany will be most central for most, however I do not think one will easily find low-cost accommodation. Czechia is only just around the corner and is, in my repeated experience, a lot more affordable. Better availability of MoGas, too (they call it Natural 95 there).
  • Weimar sounds like a great idea, too. Indeed, if it were just myself, Thüringen/Thuringia would be second choice, after Czechia but before Hungary or Poland which are just too far off to reach in a single day of flying, with any reserves.
Last Edited by at 17 May 15:18
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
wherever you pick for as “central” it’s still going to be too far for most people

Yes, sure, that’s why I began with a query “who would be basically interested” so that a location can be selected to please most. But it will not be possible to please all interested parties, not even the high profile meet-ups can.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Mooney_Driver wrote:

think I have mentioned Speyer (EDRY) before?

Lovely place, next to the historic city (walking distance actually), as well as the well known museum of aviation and technology.

I always wanted to visit the museum in Speyer !

LFLY, France

Speyer is a great museum. I would be interested if the days fit. I am open to other places too, not just Speyer

EDHS, Germany

I would come to Speyer if the dates work. I promise to use economy cruise to fit the low profile theme….

EGTK Oxford

Sounds like we have to set up a Speyer meeting anyway. I am in!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’m interested as well, at least as a daytrip.

EDLE

Dependent on date and weather Speyer would be a good destination for us too!

EGBP, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message