Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low-budget / Low-profile meet-up in summer?

When I read “converted to the church of P&W” my mind visualized an R-985 radial.

http://stauning-airshow.dk

Jan here is a potential common denominator for the low and slow crowd on EuroGA? There may be an oil rig in the North Atlantic which is mathematically more precise, but I think we are mainly Northern biased.

The Third Man is one of the all time greats. Here is Orson Welles improvising and improving on the Graham Greene script.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Sorry Robert, too much Latin & Greek there for poor little me to make anything out of it. Price & Waterhouse but wasn’t there a Third Man to that game? “bus pass age” sounds like kitchen Latin, too, here. I only took third degree at University, you know. I’ll not even begin about Damascene – closest I get is some kind of cloth. Mixed up with “obscene” it could open up a beginning, perhaps.

You must be over very high seas for your comm’s to get so, hm, how shall I say, “picturesque”.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan currently dead legging back on Norwegian after flying a SET into Namsos. It is quite amusing when you are out of gliding range to the nearest airport, a few hundred miles out to sea, to have a complete Damascene conversion to the church of P&W.

My C-90-8F is bus pass age and is forever young, it never goes into auto rough coasting out, however I do try and keep time over a water to a minimum.

@Peter: thanks, some of that I had realised for myself. When setting up this thread I hoped to get an idea of where people would come from to such a fly-in, so as to decide on an optimal location. Apart from the Speyer and Midden-Zeeland suggestions, both of which are quite nice to me but not an answer to my query, very little has come forward. So I now tentatively speak of LHBK Balatonkerezstur (hope I spell that right, from the top of my hat) and, as this field is in a very touristic region, of early September rather than high summer as initially conceived. Depending on reactions, I might make this a formal proposition, which might earn a separate thread, perhaps even a sticky.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Regarding ELT: that is a concern I share, @RobertL18C, and it has been confirmed to me by a local. Actually I was told of planes being impounded for lack of an ELT. And we could recently read here that Dutch authorities will not accept a PLB as an alternative, though some European rulemakers are pushing that way. I generally avoid the Netherlands as a destination, for this reason and for others, but thought to make an exception for this once.

As I have been repeatedly told regarding the Channel crossing: if one never takes any risk, one is going to do awfully little flying! To each their own! – myself prefer (the risk of) a solid fine over (the risk of) ditching a high winger in cold rough water. But I will not make a habit of either.

Last Edited by at 05 Jun 15:18
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

AOPA NL have a helpful English link on the fly in.

https://www.aopa.nl/pages/90/registration-foreign-visitors-aopa-fly-in/

Jan it may be irrational but I always worry about the ELT requirement in Holland, which would make a visit to mid-Zeeland not low cost.

I have a PLB, but am not sure it qualifies.

I think you will find, with fly-ins, that most people keep their options open till very late in – in case they get a better offer

If they didn’t do that, you will just get a load of cancellations in the last few days because something popped up which is “more fun”.

If you put up some date and stick with it, you should find a bunch of people will pop up at the last moment.

To be fair, I do the same with any non-flying “dates”, because booking even 1 day say 2 months ahead kills that whole week for going somewhere.

Avoid dates which conflict with any child activity because almost nobody with kids will commit to that in advance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thread bump. Apart from Speyer (which in its separate thread did not get much of a follow-up either, I fear) there seems to be little interest?

I still keep EHMZ July 2nd on the agenda, the AOPA NL meet-up.

Apart from that: @ermajn, shall we fix LHBK somewhere in early September? I originally aimed for the summer months but reckon LHBK might be too much in demand then, not perhaps the aerodrome but all the more the nearby acommodation.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message