Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lower flaps for walk-around in Cessnas

Is there a reason why sometimes (I think mostly in C15x types) the cockpit checklist asks you to lower flaps to 10 degrees pre-walkaround in order to check the flap hinges during the walkaround, while for other planes (especially C17x, C18x) this item is omitted?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

It is in order to be able to inspect the track and the roller. Those may wear out and jam AFAIU. I now do that on all aircraft because it makes it easier to inspect the hardware.

LFPT, LFPN

Interesting.

Only slightly related: our club has a policy of parking the Aquila (low-wing) with flaps full down simply to avoid anyone stepping on them when entering the plane.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I think that advice applies to many low-wing types, including the Cirrus, which have a “no step” placard on the flap just where you would naturally step.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I think that advice applies to many low-wing types, including the Cirrus, which have a “no step” placard on the flap just where you would naturally step.

I have never seen anyone park a Cirrus with the flaps down, nor is it part of the procedures in the FOM.

Patrick wrote:

for other planes (especially C17x, C18x) this item is omitted

I always lower the flaps on all planes I fly during pre-flight. Otherwise, how can you verify that they work correctly? I also checked the POH of our club’s C172S, it contains the items “lower flaps” in the “cabin” section of the pre-flight checklist, and “Flaps: verify condition and attachment” on each wing. Or is your question specifically about the 10° as opposed to lowering flaps fully?

On the PA28, I lower one notch of flap for the pre-flight, and I then check that the flap moves down if you push the flap, and that it stays locked if you push up.

Rwy20 wrote:

I always lower the flaps on all planes I fly during pre-flight. Otherwise, how can you verify that they work correctly?
Agreed!
I also checked the POH of our club’s C172S, it contains the items “lower flaps” in the “cabin” section of the pre-flight checklist…
That’s interesting. The POH of our C172S doesn’t say that!

It could of course differ between versions of the POH. We have p/n 172SPHAUS-05 and to the best of my knowledge the latest revision (August 2014).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Let me clarify the question a bit. On Cessnas, there are typically two items on checklists to check flaps:

• Lower flaps to some degree (usually 10) before the walk-around in order to be able to check the flap hinges etc. visually/by touch
  • After engine start at some point, extend flaps fully (in steps) to check operability

My question relates to the fact that this first one (before the walk around) does not appear on many checklists for 172 and 182 aircraft that I fly and if there is a specific reason for it or if those checklists are simply “incomplete”. It usually does appear on the 152 training checklists. I usually do this check regardless if it’s mentioned or not.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I also checked the POH of our club’s C172S, it contains the items “lower flaps” in the “cabin” section of the pre-flight checklist…

That’s interesting. The POH of our C172S doesn’t say that!

That’s exactly what I mean. Is there a known reason for that?

Whenever I see an aircraft parked somewhere with the flaps down I can’t help but think "Ever heard of the “after landing checklist” colleagues?"

Every flying school plane I have ever flown with (C152, 172, 182, Pa28, 44, …) has “extend flaps” on the preflight inspection checklist so that during the walkaround one can admire those flaps in all their beauty. I have no idea though how much these flying school checklists are based on the manufacturer lists and how much of that comes from head-of-training wisdom.

The things I fly at work have hydraulically operated flaps which require an engine running in order to move. Therefore one is supposed not to raise them fully after landing but to the first stage only so that they can be inspected (and cleaned) post and pre flight. So when one sees a light jet parked with the flaps halfway down this is not because the crew is too stupid or lazy to read their checklists. If the speeds brakes still stick out however it’s a little embarrasing for the crew (or oneself in some cases…).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Airborne_Again wrote:

It could of course differ between versions of the POH. We have p/n 172SPHAUS-05 and to the best of my knowledge the latest revision (August 2014).

I have looked at the French version, 172SPHFR00 / Edition 1 from November 1, 1998 – From N° 172S8001

It would be strange if they added stuff during the translation, or if they had later removed this step from the POH.

But it does say “Cessna Aircraft Company, Wichita Kansas” at the top, and in the introduction: “This DGAC approved manual is provided at the moment of delivery of the plane by the Reims Aviation corporation”. So maybe they in fact did make changes to the POH when they produced the “French” version…

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 19 May 09:28
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message