Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

M20K 252 D-EISE crash in Bergamo

Maoraigh wrote:

I’d like to think before doing a Real FL with an engine still producing power, and with altitude

Yes but most of that thinking/strategy should be crystal clear well before even one flies: keep conservative height, fly to area with clear fields?…?
This probably was debated in other cases like turn after EFATO, low level VFR in IMC… where “pilot thinking” gets confused with “pilot hope”

Jodel + Scotland, I will certainly go for Real FL on first sign that my leg need a stretch, it should not be a privilege for the tundra tires only

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“The real question, say you saw q quick 100rpm drop or heard an engine blip, will you land in nearest airport? or go PFL in a field? IMO that call/decision should have been made before your get strapped and turn mags ON…”

I don’t think deciding that before flying is a good idea. I have pre-flight weather indications for turning back, which I stick to, but I’d like to think before doing a Real FL with an engine still producing power, and with altitude.
e.g. does switching the electric fuel pump on, or changing tanks, or switching off one mag, clear the problem?
(P is practice FL )

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 14 Nov 19:49
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

but the pilot declined and wanted to land at the aeroclub runway

As always no point reading an accident report: it is hard to understand that decision in the heat of the moment: to go for a short runway rather than a big one? But probably things looked manageable then suddenly +#? hit the fan?

The real question, say you saw q quick 100rpm drop or heard an engine blip, will you land in nearest airport? or go PFL in a field? IMO that call/decision should have been made before your get strapped and turn mags ON…

While low on fuel, I recall declining ATS suggestion to go back to an easy airfield I just overflew and I decided to push further ahead to the next one, luckily engine stopped at 3000ft rather than base to final turn, in short moral of the story for me that day, when you hit your 45min reserve you have 2min to land !

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 14:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It looks like the lesson is: land where you can land safely. Especially with a plane full of people. Don’t try to get back to the aeroclub.

Well, he apparently overshot the aeroclub runway (which was a very short distance from the main runway) and the crash occurred at the far end. Yes, the lesson is take a long runway, but we don’t know if the engine actually stopped or just was rough as he described but running producing close to normal power. In which case it would be understandable for him to try to reach the home runway. Quite possibly he crashed on a go around attempt, possibly the engine did not produce enough power for that.

But with hindsight, he could of course have landed on the big runway and would have been safe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It looks like the lesson is: land where you can land safely. Especially with a plane full of people. Don’t try to get back to the aeroclub.

Mind you, I know a guy who landed a DA42 at Gatwick (with a suspected engine fire) and he got crucified on the UK GA chat sites… I am sure he doesn’t care himself but anyone reading about it afterwards would probably rather fly with a plane on fire somewhere else…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just learnt that the pilot of this plane also died 7 days after the accident.

https://tg24.sky.it/milano/2019/09/28/morto-pilota-aereo-caduto-orio-al-serio.html

He was the vice-president of the aeroclub of Orio al Serio apparently.

The article sais that the aircraft departed normally and developed problems in initial climb, intending a return to Bergamo. The control tower therefore cleared him to land on the main runway, delaying a Ryanair holding for departure, but the pilot declined and wanted to land at the aeroclub runway. On impact, one wing separated and the fuel ignited.

I’m wondering if there might have been smoke in the cockpit from the engine…
This might explain the strange indicators

On the paper it looks rather similar to https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=215090

Sad

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It looks to me as if the crash site is after the runway 30, before the motorway?

Correct, they crashed during a go-around. Wonder what issue(s) they had, if you consider the sequence:
- returning to the departure field
- overflying a 9.5k ft rwy
- porb90 too high / too fast → go around
- crash

Weird.

It looks to me as if the crash site is after the runway 30, before the motorway? Or am I wrong? From the google image I’d think it is northeast of the small runway.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message