Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slick SB 1-15A

Anyone noticed this update to sb 1-15, cunningly hidden under 2015 sb’s? Seems to affect 8 years worth of mags….not clear, I think, exactly whether it applies to all mags, or just repaired etc

https://www.championaerospace.com/assets/technical/SB1-15A_20181112.pdf

local copy

EGNS, Other

An answer from across the pond:

To answer your question on the SB.
Here is their statement:

“The following 4-cylinder magnetos with serial numbers between 08090001 thru 16071072, K3822 distributor block replacement kits, and K3008 distributor gear assemblies dated September 26, 2008 thru September 1, 2016”

So, that means first you check the Serial Number, if it falls between 08090001 thru 16071072, inclusive. It is a SUSPECT Mag.
Then you have to pull the Mag.
You then have two choices:
a> The A&P opens the Mag and inspects for the DATE of the DISTRIBUTOR BLOCK and DISTRIBUTOR GEAR. If the dates fall between Sept 26, 2008 thru Sept 1, 2016, YOU have to replace the parts. OR!
b> Pull the Mag(s) and send them to the Manufacture for Inspection/Repair.

After all, If your A&P does the inspection – NOW! YOU have to order the parts, wait for them to come in and THEN the A&P takes on the responsibility of overhauling the Mag. It was the Manufacture that screw-up, let them, take on ALL the responsibility AGAIN/STILL.

Brilliant! :-((…… But not mandatory :-)

Last Edited by PeteD at 29 Nov 08:56
EGNS, Other

I had this SB completed just a week before Christmas. Really easy. I sent my mags to champion Europe rep in Belgium. Got the effected distributor gear replaced and received my mags 2 days after. 125 euros for the work.

If you let your AP do it then you have to pay for the new distributor gears which is 100 euros each. Send it to pmm wings in Belgium you get it done under warranty for free.

I know the SB doesn’t sound like it’s mandatory but I can’t imagine champion putting a 50 hour time limit to it unless they wanted these distributor gears off the skies real badly.

Switzerland

Straw poll around owners and organisations seems to be that it’s a legal ar** covering manoeuvre and no one seems to be doing it.
Not sure that’s the right attitude but seems to be what’s happening.
Further, this originally came out in 2015(?) affecting 2 years(?) mags, guess if it really was serious then it would have been made an AD.
For me, it’s difficult to do due lack of local licenced engineer, so will probably sit it out for the moment.

Last Edited by PeteD at 30 Dec 17:47
EGNS, Other

It is a mandatory SB. Isn’t that almost as good as an AD?

Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

It is a mandatory SB. Isn’t that almost as good as an AD?

That depends on what you mean by “good”… For private ops at least, SBs are never mandatory even if the manufacturer call them that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lots of EASA CAMOs will force an MSB to be implemented, however… there is a lot of revenue in this because a shop makes money by billing out labour hours and potentially more via the dealer discount which is some 25% so installing a €1000 part yields €250 simply by ordering it.

For example I used to know a C152 which was costing the (large) syndicate some 8k for the Annual. Most of that 8k was not labour; it was airframe parts.

I once spoke to the owner of a big UK EASA145 shop about this, asking why he implements every SB and MSB, and he said he is not in the business of making less money. His clients were largely high net worth individuals and just paid the bills…

Actually he was doing the same on N-regs too and IME N-reg owners in Europe are more likely to get over-billed simply because, on average, an N-reg owner has more money.

In some scenarios the difference is that an SB is not covered under warranty but an MSB is. This was the case under Socata. So, one could argue that the manufacturer has an incentive to generate more MSBs when the warranty on all affected airframes has run out

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyway I had this SB performed. Total cost was 300 euros including labour.

I don’t cheap out on MSBs especially when they are related to a flight critical parts like magnetos. Considering the effected parts are replaced under warranty, it is a no brainer.

Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I once spoke to the owner of a big UK EASA145 shop about this, asking why he implements every SB and MSB, and he said he is not in the business of making less money. His clients were largely high net worth individuals and just paid the bills…

Isn’t this also a matter of liability? If the affected part fails without the SB being implemented, you will have to have your sh#t together or you will be taken to the cleaners.

My CAMO pointed out a SB on the V-clamps holding the turbo in place. These cost around € 500,00 each, and now need replacing every 500 hrs. I asked them if they deem it necessary to do this. They said that they have no choice but to advise me to have them do the work. I guess they would have sent me some form of disclaimer if I opted to leave the SB for what it is. It only adds a few €€ to each flighthour so I let them swap the clamps out. It did add another € 1.000,00 to my annual.

EHTE, Netherlands

I’m going to install an old serviceable Distributor Gear in my one Slick 4373 covered by this SB. The old part I kept from a magneto from outside (prior to) the s/n range specified for this SB. Champion has confirmed this complies with the SB.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message