Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Interior Plastics

Things are looking pretty tired and no amount of patching is going to make them look anything like acceptable.

There would appear to be more than one manufacturer with Vantage Plane Plastics and Texas aeroplastics coming to mind.

Does anyone know which is the better quality and also if any of them have a UK distributor?

I just placed an order of $1600 worth of Selkirk interior plastics, to replace some but not all the Cessna interior plastics. I think they are actually fibreglass and much stronger. Hence all the bush guys use them. I am going to get SEM paint matched to suit the charcoal grey Selkirk and paint my remaining good condition interior plastics to match. I’m using poly zap cyano glue to fix any little area’s that are cracked on my old plastics.

https://selkirk-aviation.com/

They have no UK distributor, but I didn’t think the other companies had either. Whenever you go at the interior of an aeroplane, you need to do almost everything as the things you leave out stand out like a sore thumb. I’m doing soundproofing, floor covering, recovered sidewalls, painted seat bases, new seat foams, 6x headrests, diamond quilted double-stitched leather seats, tinted windows and wool headliner. We are also getting the control yokes dipped too.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

This issue comes up often – because the interior plastic used in GA rots in sunlight, and cracks quite easily, especially around screws which generally get over-tightened anyway.

Most are vacuum moulded and you can find vacuum moulding outfits in your local trade directory. It is widely done for e.g. shop display fixtures.

For better results one can replicate the shape in fibreglass or even carbon fibre. I know of such jobs but the owners will not talk about it because of EASA / Part M fears.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would consider upholstering them with leather.
Looks great!

Panels upholstered with leather looks great, and not a lot more expensive than cracks repaired and a good paint job. But I have no idea about what amount of load would be added on the aircraft ? I heard of a guy in the US who renewed is Mooney and preferred the painting solution for weight reasons.

LFRN, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message