Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exchange Autopilot options for a TB20

Peter wrote:

I would not install the GFC500. Firstly it won’t fly an ILS without GPS working which I regard as a pointless loss of systems redundancy (and sure enough almost nobody buying a GFC500 is aware of this).

Um, thanks for pointing out that tidbit of information. Yea, that would be a total no go for me as well.

LSZH, Switzerland

I am not sure why @Peter thinks the GFC500 cannot fly ILS without a GPS signal…

Maybe it’s from Avidyne forums where there were discussed cases when the autopilot treated automatic switch from GPS to LOC as a GPS failure? That is to be expected, as the Garmin navigators don’t automatically switch, as the IFD units from Avidyne do.

LRIA, Romania

See the linked thread above. It’s not my opinion

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AlexTB20 wrote:

Stec in particular don’t really like any kind of wind.

I can confirm. STEC-55 on an ILS with 12kts cross is, let’s put it this way, “mildly interesting”.

GA PRO, IFR Instructor, Safety Pilot,...
LOWG | Worldwide

Reportedly, the reason why some of the latest serial numbers are excluded from the GFC500 STC is because of positioning of some equipment in the rear of the aircraft that conflicts with the autopilot installation. I have no more details but presumably it is to do with the servo location.

Numbers mentioned were $7k, plus $2k per servo, plus installation, so in the European avionics market you are looking at something like €20k+ plus VAT.

Administrator

This is a GFC500 TB21 installation in the US

Above obviously don’t include labour.

Reportedly it flies very well. There is a yaw damper option but no reports on how well that works. It ought to give a better ride in turbulence.

Administrator

It looks great!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This is a good video with a short demo of all AP modes in flight – including the GI275 mode annunciation.

T28
Switzerland

@T28 this person produces good clear avionics videos, here is a companion for glass cockpit C150

Oxford (EGTK)

Yup, saw that one already. Shows very clearly how much more you can do with a couple GIs over just an EFIS. Gotta love the clean panel.

T28
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message