Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exchange Autopilot options for a TB20

See the linked thread above. It’s not my opinion

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AlexTB20 wrote:

Stec in particular don’t really like any kind of wind.

I can confirm. STEC-55 on an ILS with 12kts cross is, let’s put it this way, “mildly interesting”.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Reportedly, the reason why some of the latest serial numbers are excluded from the GFC500 STC is because of positioning of some equipment in the rear of the aircraft that conflicts with the autopilot installation. I have no more details but presumably it is to do with the servo location.

Numbers mentioned were $7k, plus $2k per servo, plus installation, so in the European avionics market you are looking at something like €20k+ plus VAT.

Administrator

This is a GFC500 TB21 installation in the US

Above obviously don’t include labour.

Reportedly it flies very well. There is a yaw damper option but no reports on how well that works. It ought to give a better ride in turbulence.

Administrator

It looks great!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This is a good video with a short demo of all AP modes in flight – including the GI275 mode annunciation.

T28
Switzerland

@T28 this person produces good clear avionics videos, here is a companion for glass cockpit C150

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yup, saw that one already. Shows very clearly how much more you can do with a couple GIs over just an EFIS. Gotta love the clean panel.

T28
Switzerland

The big issue is

• the GFC500 needs a G5 or a GI275
  • no TB will have either of these to start with
  • a TB without an autopilot is practically useless
  • practically every TB already has an autopilot
  • labour and VAT on top

so you are looking upwards of 30k for the GFC500.

And very very few avionics shops have the capability to do this work, properly.

So it hardly makes sense to rip out a working King autopilot to get a GFC500. You can get roll steering, altitude hold and ILS tracking with most of the old ones, and they don’t need GPS reception to fly a coupled ILS. And you can buy up spares on US Ebay and keep them on the shelf – for peanuts.

For 30k+ you will get more “eye candy” value out of a modern centre stack, but many TBs already have a GNS530/W so can take an IFD540/550, so why not spend the money on something which will actually improve your despatch rate: full TKS.

Administrator

I’ve now got the GFC500 and a handful of hours behind it. So far I’m really impressed with it, but I’ve not explored its capabilities much yet. Although, I went from nothing to AP and it’s a nice addition to have, especially for longer trips where you’re not doing a lot of interesting stuff.

I don’t really see why you would rip out a functional AP to put in a GFC500.

As Peter says, there are a number of other items that would be further up the list for me.

Sign in to add your message