Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exchange Autopilot options for a TB20

They are doing this for Mooney as well, not sure where they are at but there were takers, particularly those who have a 55X System in it. Those can keep all their servos and installation, only the computer gets changed. I am very interested in this, as the 3100 appears to be much superior to the 55X.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

STEC 3100 price list

Estimate labour is 80hrs if installing the servos as well.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, that price quoted for an upgrade of 10k (trim is installed) is what I was told at Friedrichshafen last year. Incidently, that was pretty much the upgrade price by Avidyne as well for upgrading from a 55X.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This has just been posted on a US site by a TB owner whose TB21 was used to do the STC development for the Trio autopilot:

We are still awaiting STC approval from the FAA. Rest assured we TB owners are not the only aircraft type affected; there is a unknown time backlog which the FAA says is due to the past winter’s government shutdown. Whether you believe that or not:
The STC Group LLC is continuing to keep a list of all those interested in the Trio Pro autopilot STC for the TB airframes. Please see https://www.thestcgroupllc.com/ for details.

So, contrary to dejwu’s post above, this autopilot does not exist yet.

The pilot posted some peripherally interesting stuff about the Experimental restrictions placed on his TB21 while the AP was installed. He was limited to a 40nm radius from his base. Unsurprisingly he was rather happy to remove it ASAP. But now he has no AP…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So, contrary to dejwu’s post above, this autopilot does not exist yet.

Surely what you mean is that the STC does not exist? The actual autopilot must do, or they could not have done the test and installation data

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

You can’t install it in a TB without the STC.

The product has existed for some time in the homebuilt market, I believe.

Administrator

Just spoken to Trio at Aero. Brief report here. Unless the salesman told me wrong, this is a joke… No elevator trim!

TB STC “expected 4Q 2019” but I cannot understand why anyone in Europe would even consider this on a “serious” tourer like a TB20/21.

Administrator

Another autopilot option for the TB range – the STEC 3100 – is vapourware. This has appeared on the US TB site:

As ever, it is very hard to get a dozen plus people to stick their hands in their pockets. Look at the huge Robin STC saga. And it is always the case that many TB owners are looking to move on – either getting an SR22 (the usual “family friendly” route), or if they have megabucks then a TBM, or getting out of flying altogether after many years.

The STEC 3100 does exist for other aircraft – example.

Administrator

Garmin have told a US TB owner that they have no plans to do a Socata TB STC for the GFC500.

Administrator

This update was posted on the US Socata owners’ site

I think “since we have been shut out by Garmin and Avidyne” refers to these firms saying they have no interest in certifying any of their autopilots for the TB fleet.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message