Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a single Garmin G5 installed as HSI serve as backup AI?

Anyone has a single (not dual) Garmin G5 installed as HSI on a certified (not experimental) aircraft? Can you choose (in flight) to display the AI (attitude) page instead? That is when you enter the menu, you have the “setup” button, and when you select that button with the knob and press, you get an AI display and not an HSI display.

I’m getting conflicting information on this, if someone can look on a real unit, it would be helpful to me. Thanks.

The question is purely technical, not legal. I’m not asking if a Garmin G5 HSI can be the legally required backup AI. I’m asking if the pilot can, in practice, switch it to an AI.

Last Edited by lionel at 05 Jan 03:19
ELLX

Yes, I can do exactly as you describe.

EIMH, Ireland

We recently installed one G5 in a club aircraft (as a AI replacement), and here is my 5 cents.
All G5 unit has solid state gyros built in, and as I recall, when I went through all the settings, there is of course a choice to set the primary function of the unit (AI or HSI), but no option to switch off the AI “button” shown as “PFD” on your picture. So I believe yes is the answer.

I do not think a 100% answer to your question requires a test made on a “HSI installed” unit, as I believe all settings are available via the settings page. Which means it could be tested using any G5 unit, even a non-installed one right out of the box.

As for the legal question, which you do not ask, it should be considered that the unit cannot show attitude information and course deviation simultaneously. But as the AI function is only for back-up, I would think that a loss of CDI function would not necessarily be in violence of NCO.IDE.A:195 (b):
Aeroplanes shall have sufficient navigation equipment to ensure that, in the event of the failure
of one item of equipment at any stage of the flight, the remaining equipment shall allow safe
navigation in accordance with (a), or an appropriate contingency action, to be completed safely.
- depending of your requirement for an “appropriate” contingency action (vectors, 2nd CDI, MFD navigation etc. .. or even visual nav.)

Last Edited by huv at 05 Jan 09:40
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Thanks!

ELLX
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message