Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430W (and others) and 8.33 frequencies missing

AFAIK this relates to both 430 and 430W

ESOW, Sweden

Hello,
I have a problem with Database update on our G1000.
Since last update (March), I don’t have the 8.33 kHz frequencies available anymore on the WPT pages.
I contacted Jepp to get a new upload file, which they gave me with some instructions to reload the Database:

I have reset your download counter and provided an extra. The extra download is there in case the issue persists and you have to contact Garmin and they instruct you to reload. This is to say do not program the card twice from the same download.

To see this download please clear the cache in JDM. To clear your cache go to the JDM menu in the top left → Tech Support → clear cache. It will ask you if you are sure you want to delete local data then have you log in again. Afterwards, please transfer the data to your device again. When you get to the unit it may not want to update the NavData. Attempt it once but if the unit skips updating power it off, then with the Nav card inserted hold the second from the left soft key in while booting up. This will allow you to fully reinstall the database into the unit.

If issues persist I recommend you contact Garmin to troubleshoot unit display issues.

It did not work (there is no softkey before startup and pushing the 2nd left hardkey doesn’t do anything). So I called my avionics shop and had this answer:

Please find attached the Service Advisory 1865A from Garmin.
Here you can see that the G1000 PFD-MFD (GDU) softw. version should be 15.10 or higher
As far as I can see, has N446DC G1000 softw version 0321-22 this is the Highest version available for a non-Waas DA40-180. This gives a GDU(PFD-MFD) softw. 9.15
(for Waas equipt DA40-180 0321-23 is the highest available softw this has GDU softw. 12.05)
In both cases there is no solution. There is no softw available for a DA40-180 to display the 8.33khz frequencies, Sorry !!!!!!!.
The Softw. should come from Diamond.
SA_1865A_G1000_pdf

Does anyone have the same issue ?

Last Edited by Jean at 12 Mar 11:31
Jean
EBST, Belgium

Hello Jean,
I was on the road today ( to EBKT) , and will look into it tomorrow more thoroughly.
Grtz Eric

Posts merged into existing thread on same topic.

Jetprop – are you an avionics shop? You’ve been recommending one…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For information, I can add that, GPSMAP 496 and probably the little Brothers, 495 and 396 have the same issue is with 8.33 frequencies.

Called Garmin and they said that they do not update anymore the bios to enable the display of 8.33 for those units, and it is only 18 people who reported and have trouble with this.
When GPSMAP was on the market it was not designed for those type of frequencies, which is true, but the 8.33 was stared to be implemented when 496 and other units was still covered by support and they did not take any measure to mitigate it.
I tried to persuade the support guy to write a report / change request to do a one time update of the bios just for this purpose, but again he said it is only 18 people, however he promise that he will do.

Asking, why Garmin do not put on the database update side a warning informing that some units (430, 496, 495, 396, G1000 ) will not display the 8.33 frequencies, to set the right expectations and avoid the hassle – I’ve got no answer.

So in my opinion may be a good idea that those who have problems with 8.33 to call Garmin and ask for a last bios update to enable the display of 8.33 no matter if is supported or not.

ES?? - Sweden

My guess is that only a few users of these use them for airport frequency reference.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The KLN90B cant show 8.33 frequencies. The display has no room for the third digit. Since a lot of frequencies changed to 8.33 my older KLN90B does not show them. All FMS/GPS run on ARINC 424 which runs on 132 Bytes as spec for each record Each record contains fields with a number of characters containing all aeronautical data used according the ARINC spec. ARINC424 stores it in the Airport Communications Primary Records and some additional info is available in the continuation records. The fact that some units don´t show it is too my understanding a combination of the older system architecture unable to process the correct ARINC record to show the frequency and maybe an older ARINC 424 specification as part of the box.
E.g ARINC 424-19 has for Airport Frequencies 26 thru 32 Transmit Frequency and 33 thru 39 Receive Frequency both fields have 7 characters. The Garmin G1000 was first shipped in a Diamond DA40 in June 2004 which is 15 years….

Last Edited by Vref at 03 Jul 08:39
EBST

I use (used) the facility all the time on my vanilla 430’s

It is extremely frustrating to have had this disappear

To have any chance to change this, complaints need to be filed I guess.

I find a UK phone number earlier in the thread to call and put forward a complain. Do any of you know a suitable e-mailadress, to submit a bit more modern written complain? Might get the complaints numbers up more easily.

ESOW, Sweden
Sign in to add your message