Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The end of a once great company - Honeywell / Bendix-King?

Electronics, for these volumes, has not changed much since 25 years ago. These boxes use SMT already…

You could reduce the component count. But Garmin are not interested in old technology, and in the US not many of these are being installed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just picked up a KC225 autopilot computer, refurbished by HBK in the US, and on a close-up look at the connector spotted this

Those bent pins would have got mangled when the unit is tightened into the avionics tray…

Administrator

The bent pins aren’t good (I’d be embarassed if I’d refurbished something and supplied it in that state) but you might be surprised – the D sub female has a little bit of a flare on the entry to each pin and either the connector won’t go in at all (and you’ll notice – at least on the Garmin-style ones where you have the quarter turn locking thing, it won’t engage if the pins don’t go into the connector at all, and the installer would have to be a gorilla not to notice this) or the receptacle will actually straighten out the pins as it slides in.

Andreas IOM

This just popped up in the US:

BendixKing’s new partnership with Avidyne was on display at the BendixKing AEA exhibit, with the Avidyne IFD440, 540, and 550 rebranded as the AeroNav 800, 900, and 910. “We’re doing similar things that we’re doing with TruTrak, to help bring their product to more markets,” said Roger Dykmann, BendixKing v-p of sales for the Americas. “It’s a great navigator, and we’ve integrated them very tightly with our display systems, and it works very well with our autopilot. I think we can work together with our friend [Avidyne president and CEO] Dan Schwinn and make that product even more popular than it is today.

How can anybody add value by reselling boxes which are already so well known under their Avidyne names? This is somewhere between bonkers and desperation…

More re-badging here:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2019-03-27/bendixking-deepens-partnerships-avionics-oems

The TruTrak-manufactured products include two autopilots, the XCruze 100 for the experimental aircraft market and the AeroCruze 100 for certified aircraft. Both are available now and include two servos, wiring harness, and the installation kit. The experimental XCruze retails for $2,600 and the certified AeroCruze for $5,500. Both feature GPS nav and steering, altitude hold, VS select, altitude select and preselect, automatic pitch trim, and more.

Is that the one which does GPS approaches but no ILS approaches?

Administrator
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Is that the one which does GPS approaches but no ILS approaches?

Yes. Clearly an attempt to offer an a/p to those not ready to pay double/triple the price just to get the ILS, a large market in the US where LPV approaches are everywhere. We’re not quite that far yet in Europe.

LSZK, Switzerland
Administrator

Isn’t the top picture what they are currently actually offering in the KingAir?

EGTF, LFTF

I am sure it is CGI. Look at some detail

Same on the other yoke

It’s well done though; not a 5 minute job.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am sure it is CGI. Look at some detail

Not even CGI – Photoshop… Real CGI would render the text in the yoke with the proper perspective.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message