Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reasons for needing to replace "aging" avionics with newer

Given all the comments in the RF legs thread about older avionics being “disadvantaged” by new GPS PBN capabilities, it might be interesting to list all the reasons that “aging” avionics will or may need replacing in the next few years. Aging in this case meaning relative to the technology and its availability, not necessarily years.

Suggested Categories:
1 – hardware/software maintenance (incl supplier abandon)
2 – regulatory
3 – reduction in capability/usefulness

Category 1
- repair replacement parts no longer available (e,g. display digit elements)
- navdata updates no longer available
- repair vs replacement/upgrade cost/benefit
- other?

Category 2
- comm capability requirements – e.g. 8.33MHz
- Extended Squitter
- ADS-B
- nav capability requirements/regulations (related but not exactly same as in 3)

Category 3
- phase out of LF nav (NDB, LOC)
- gradual phase out of VHF/UHF nav facilities (VOR, ILS, DME)
- data capacity (e.g. Garmin 430 WW navdata only contains runways >5000’)
- new(er) nav capabilities lacking (mostly GPS: LPV app, RNAV 1, RF legs, etc)
- other?

LSZK, Switzerland

In category 3, i would add:
Better integration: e.g. availability to control or display information from one box on another. Useful when panel space is small or to merge several data together (traffic and nav, weather and nav), pushing/pulling flightplan/task between tablet and mounted GPS/IGC logger

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

My GNS430 started crowing about a low memory battery this week. Apparently upwards of a 1 amu repair from Garmin who have to be questioned for making a lifed item ridiculously inaccessible. I think I owe the supremely talented electronics technician with whom I work a sightseeing flight….

EIMH, Ireland

There is this and I have the GNS430 MM

Actually the 430 MM is almost useless for repairing the unit, but IIRC it does cover the battery replacement. The battery type has come up before.

repair replacement parts no longer available (e,g. display digit elements)

That’s true for most non-GTN/IFD boxes (you may have to buy on US Ebay, and be “creative” with the paperwork)

navdata updates no longer available

A really big problem for a GPS navigator; end of life really

comm capability requirements – e.g. 8.33MHz

Essential today

Extended Squitter

Not worth doing

ADS-B

Not necessary but worth doing in the context of another job

nav capability requirements/regulations (related but not exactly same as in 3)

Perhaps LPV is becoming essential

gradual phase out of VHF/UHF nav facilities (VOR, ILS, DME)

I can’t see ILS ever losing its importance

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s true for most non-GTN/IFD boxes (you may have to buy on US Ebay, and be “creative” with the paperwork)

I bet a tonne of this stuff gets repaired in the backs of hangars with zero paperwork…

Andreas IOM

zuutroy wrote:

My GNS430 started crowing about a low memory battery this week.

Changing the battery was a 18 Euros straight add-on during my last Form-1’ed service on the GNS430 at the official avionics shop, so it is not a fancy part …

Last Edited by at 09 Mar 09:08

Reliability is the main reason for changing avionics when the cost of repair and downtime gets to a point that a new unit will do the job more reliably it’s time to change.

When I was running a small fleet of trainers it became clear that the Narco AT150 transponders had started to cost too much to fix, so all the aircraft got Trig transponders and five years on not a single problem.

Peter wrote:

I can’t see ILS ever losing its importance

I can see ILS eventually being used only for CAT II/III approaches.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One look at the happenings in France seems to back what Airborne_Again has to say

A_and_C wrote:

One look at the happenings in France seems to back what Airborne_Again has to say

I agree. ILS at smaller regional airports is on the way out. And you would never install a new ILS system now unless getting a lot of CAT traffic.

EGTK Oxford
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message