Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTX330 to GTX330ES - what is the point of this upgrade? Also the GTX335?

It seems the only point is if you want to achieve ADS-B OUT, don’t need ADS-B IN (or achieve that via another route) and already have a compatible WAAS GPS.

But then I wonder what the GTX335 brings you. This gives you ADS-B OUT, also no ADS-B IN, and it has an internal WAAS GPS option (which is also available as an output).

Perhaps the ES upgrade costs less than a GTX335 installation? Not on the basis of figures I have seen.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The ES upgrade is supposed to be cheaper when you already have a working GTX330, to only add ADS-B-out over the existing mode A-C-S.
The GTX335 is when changing the complete transponder, typically upgrading from a Mode A-C.
Where you can get traffic and weather I don’t really understand why not to, but that’s me, the 2020 mandate is only out.

ESMK, Sweden

I was thinking of the European scenario, where no TIS (traffic info) is available. TIS and the 2020 stuff is US only.

The ES upgrade also involves some extra wiring. I don’t know what this is however, but it has been billed at a few k more in some cases.

Administrator

By the way, selling a GTX330 and buying a used/serviceable GTX330ES instead is usually much cheaper than getting an official ES upgrade.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I see à lot of customers who sell there old GTX330 and buy à GTX335
To upgrade à GTX330 you need to send it in to Garmin ( via à dealer) Cost approx: $1600.-
But then you still have a unit with a old display, which might be starting fading in time
You will need a WAAS capable GPS, which must be wired to the GTX330ES.
A complete new GTX335 costs around $2995.- (list), the nice advantage is that you can add the Garmin Altitude Encoder GAE 12, this eliminates the old fashion blind encoder.
The GAE 12 is directly attached to the back of the transponder rack/backplate.
Also Garmin sells the GTX335 with internal WAAS receiver, you only need to attach a GPS antenna to it , to comply with the ADS-B requirement
Very interesting deal now : GTX335+GPS antenna + GAE12 for $3195,-
When we do this sort of install, we credit the customer for his GTX330, depending on the revenue @ eBay
+31553231967

IAS Hangar One
EHTE, Netherlands

The ES upgrade also involves some extra wiring. I don’t know what this is however, but it has been billed at a few k more in some cases.

Gulp! I upgraded mine a couple of years ago for about 1 AMU. No extra wiring. Just hoik it out of the rack, send it to nice Mr Garm¥n Dealer with a thousand smackers, then wack it back in the panel. Then power on while holding the home button on the GTN and change the relevant config settings. Mega simples! Even a poor Oirish farmer can do it.

What’s the point? I dunno. I suppose it’s like a Cirrus chute – it’s cheap enough if it saves your body parts being splattered all over the countryside.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I am looking at installing the GTX335 as the first part of the TAS605 to TAS605A upgrade. Currently Avidyne won’t supply an exchange TAS box however so the project might end there… but at least I will have ADS-B OUT. I can get this done as a freelance install; just need to rent a hangar for a few days, which is possible.

The bottom line is that I can’t see where a GTX330ES would make sense unless you already have a WAAS GPS, and then it would, but only if significantly cheaper than a GTX335.

Administrator

Jacko wrote:

Gulp! I upgraded mine a couple of years ago for about 1 AMU.

In the US, this causes the installation to designated as NPE (Non Performing Emitter) due to the lack of the additional wire which is uses to connect via serial port to a compliant position source. In a typical US installation, the GTX330ES still gets a position input via ARINC 429, but this input has none of the required data for ADS-B Out other than position, so geometric altitude is not provided and also the values for NACp, NACv and NIC are not available. Easy to spot in the data broadcast. In the US, those installations will eventually get a letter from the FAA to fix it. In the mean time, they won’t get TISB services.

KUZA, United States

Peter,

Although the EC mandate does not apply to most piston aircraft, the GTX 335/345 would not comply for those aircraft affected by the mandate because they don’t support diversity (top and bottom antennas), which is mandated for heavier and faster aircraft, 5700 KG and TAS 250+ Kts. The GTX330DES would satisfy the mandate.

A fair number of recent production aircraft were equipped with GTX330 or GTX33 and upgrading these to ES is usually the least expensive option when the GPS system is WAAS capable. Some G1000 systems are not upgradable or it is fairly expensive ($30,000 USD) and a GTX335/345 with the built in position source is the least expensive way to go. In the US, many aircraft had upgrades to the GTX330 as an after market upgrade to get the Mode S TIS traffic capability. For these aircraft, compliance is cheapest by upgrading to ES. I had a GTX330 installed in my Bonanza for the Mode S TIS feature, but decided to add the GDL88 for ADS-B Out. At the time the GTX345 was not available or I would have swapped my GTX330 for a GTX345 to get the ADS-B In capabilities.

KUZA, United States

@NCYankee, that’s interesting, I didn’t know the GTX330 to GTN650 connection could be ARINC429.

In sections 1.5 and C.8 and fig. E12 of my GTN installation manual the connection is specified as RS232 only (not ARINC).

Has that changed recently?

If not, I can well imagine that if “typical” US installers are ignoring the IM, the result may be sub-optimal.

P.S. Why would US installers bodge an ARINC connection in contravention to the IM? Perhaps for lack of a free RS232 port on the GTN650…

Last Edited by Jacko at 22 Mar 20:54
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message