Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Controller–pilot data link communications (CPDLC)

It may soon be required for all aircraft, as mask wearing becomes compulsory. English (or any other) language proficiency testing should be done with candidate and examiner both wearing masks. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sounds like this is for bizjets and above, only.

Hi Peter,

Yes, but is doesn’t say it anywhere in that article!

What I’m still surprised with is why is it that high performance aircraft starts after FL250?
RVSM starts after FL289, why not there?
Yes, it an arbitrary threshold, but you’ve already created a massive one starting FL290, so why not adjust the rest of the things to the same one?

EGTR

CPDLC explanation from Honeywell

Sounds like this is for bizjets and above, only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Coincidentally, this NOTAM cancel message for Zurich appeared last night, making DCL available (again?):

The following NOTAM was cancelled:

LSSN A286/20 NOTAMR A241/20
Q) LSAS/CDCS/IV/BO  /A  /0/999/4727N00833E
A) LSZH
B) 2005110747 C) 2005112304 EST
E) REF AIP AMDT 005/20, PAGE LSZH AD 2-23/24, PARAGRAPH 3.3.2.4 
DEPARTURE CLEARANCE: 
ALL REF TO DCL (DATALINK DEP CLR) NOT YET VALID.
DCL SER AVBL FM DATE 12 MAY 2020.

Cancel message:

LSSN A0289/20 NOTAMC A0286/20
Q) LSAS/CDAK/IV/BO/A/000/999/4727N00833E
A) LSZH
B) 2005112304 C) 
E) DCL SER AVBL.

JasonC wrote:

It has to be integrated into the FMS. You receive, request and acknowledge clearances through it. It is text but far more integrated than ACARS which uses a similar interface but is just for exchanging text messages.

Does CPDLC have to be integrated with FMS? Or could it be just texting computer with a VHF modem and a basic GPS board (like GTX 335, for example) for position reporting?

Also CPDLC comes to the aircraft directly from ATC whereas ACARS routes through a commercial provider like Collins.

Ah! That’s where my confusion comes from, I thought for CPDLC requires ~10K per year just like ACARS.

Thanks!

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Does CPDLC just display on some box, or do you also get something on audio?

It has to be integrated into the FMS. You receive, request and acknowledge clearances through it. It is text but far more integrated than ACARS which uses a similar interface but is just for exchanging text messages. Also CPDLC comes to the aircraft directly from ATC whereas ACARS routes through a commercial provider like Collins.

This is a clearance via ACARS (essentially just a text message):

And here is an example of CPDLC:

https://code7700.com/images/cpdlc_kteb_03_uplink_1.png

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 May 08:00
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

It’s text messages. You get them on display and/or paper.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

There’s a human readable summary here.

Seems many aircraft got exempted. A320, B737, etc. Some until 2022, some permanently.

Exempted aircraft should place “Z” in item 10 and the indicator “DAT/CPDLCX” in item 18 of each flight plan.

@loco, yes, I get it, but my is about the new things.

EGTR

JasonC wrote:

You need VHF datalink not satellite in Europe I believe so a third VHF radio not a GSR56 type unit.

Yes, VHF should be OK, but satellite use allows for a device to be portable. Something like ADL by @Sebastian_G probably can be used as CPDLC.
The alternative is a dedicated panel-mount box with a built-in VHF radio. Can’t imagine this happenning…

But not like there are a lot of light GA aircraft in RVSM airspace.

But this rule makes it practically impossible to bring in a NEW model that can fly RVSM, something like a smaller version of Cessna 421c.
Doesn’t stop the jets or a newest TBM for that matter – they come with G3000+ anyway.

PS: @Peter this thread might be similar to https://www.euroga.org/forums/controller-pilot-data-link-communications-v2-us-pdc-d-atis/10708

[ yes, thanks – merged ]

EGTR
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message